Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2010, 07:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default MediaPlayer - Stream from the Internet

I'm on the look for a media player that can stream videos from the Internet. It's not about the popular Youtube and Vimeo, but any website that has video in it. Specifically Internet TV.

I know that this can be done without any problems with a HTPC, but that's a bit out of the budget for me.

Is there someone who knows more about this? Some tweaking is also a no problem for me, as long as it works.

For example for WD TV Live HD there are few tweaks to add functionality and so on. Any for streaming videos from any website?

Some help would be greatly appreciated fellow canucks.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:31 PM
Rookie

PS3 has a web browser.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, a PS3 is not really my choice right now. I don't like consoles at all, and besides I want something that is fully dedicated to playing movies. A PS3 is nowhere that extensive to a media player.

But thank you though, for taking your time to comment. New thing I learned :D
Old May 10, 2010, 08:05 AM
Rookie

Default PS3 as Media Server

I stream music and video from my PC to my TV and Surround Sound system via the PS3.

1. PC connected to router.
2. PS3 connected to router.
3. PS3 connected to AV receiver via HDMI
4. Install free program TVersity onto PC (some people use WMP, but I prefer TVersity)
5. Add stuff to TVersity Library
6. Watch movies and listen to music stored on your PC

PS3 also plays Blurays. I don't use it for gaming at all.