Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Lol or maybe you got a dud, i've read and had nothing but good things for the atom, at least the n330 anyways (i have the a-u from zotac).
Old March 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its the lack of 10.1 on those nvidia chipsets that are lagging the flash video experience.

Nvidia chipsets = crap for HTPC

AMD chipset is the better choice for HTPC, light web surfing, flash videos.

I have a single core P4 3.0ghz with HT and Piece of shit Intel G31.

When I down clock to 533 FSB and drop some vcore, it cannot play 1080p smoothly. But when FSB set to original 800FSB, 1080p perfectly fine, only loading 50% max.

It should be fine if you play just blu ray disc as long as you have coreavc and cuda.

To sum it up, atoms+nivida chipsets sucks for everything else if its not used as a blu ray/h.264 player.

But then I could be wrong, I am just so fed up with nvidia's crap right now.
Old March 24, 2010, 08:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know whats up with yours guys, mine works golden the way i have it running windows 7, i've had no issues with regular video play back, some hd stuff or flash stuff either. And as i potentially look into linux distros which are optimized for the atom/nvidia board i can see my performance getting better. Also remember i'm running the N330, people have complained the N230 isn't powerful enough for some of the things you've said (or run into those issues). But having that N330 overclocked to 2.0GHz seems to allow the little thing to be a beast.
Old April 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Thread revival ...

Hey guys, I'm reviving this thread because I have an update to might interest members who are looking into using the Ion platform for HTPC purposes.

Earlier in this thread, I reported choppy playback of Flash videos with the Ion ITX-G-E motherboard.

Well, in part because of Arinoth, I decided to give the Ion platform another shot at HTPC duties. Here are my conclusions.

Current specs:
- Zotac Ion ITX-G-E (Atom 330) @ 1.6ghz
- Mushkin XP2-8500 @ 800mhz
- Vertex 30gb SSD drive
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
- nVidia 197.45 WHQL video drivers / 15.51 WHQL chipset drivers / 1.00.00.59 WHQL audio drivers (all the latest)
- Flash 10.1 RC2

With the above setup:
720p Youtube Flash media playback : flawless
1080p Youtube Flash media playback : Almost flawless
720p - 1080p media with Media Player Classic (ie: .avi, rips, etc) : flawless

I still think the chip is a little underpowered on the desktop (ie. heavily using iTunes shows some of the chip's weakness) but I am switching back to the Ion platform for HTPC duties.

Thanks Arinoth!

Old April 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No problem, you should do what i did as well which was to overclock the atom 330 slightly. I have mine running at 2.0GHz, it seems to run cooler (for some reason), has no problem being cooled either with a fan of passively, and i've found that it helps give it that little extra umph of power. iTunes is not really designed for hardware acceleration (to my knowledge) and the atom system is designed to be used by video players that do (such as VLC).
Old April 28, 2010, 11:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
No problem, you should do what i did as well which was to overclock the atom 330 slightly. I have mine running at 2.0GHz, it seems to run cooler (for some reason), has no problem being cooled either with a fan of passively, and i've found that it helps give it that little extra umph of power. iTunes is not really designed for hardware acceleration (to my knowledge) and the atom system is designed to be used by video players that do (such as VLC).
Mine is still a dog that won't overclock ...