Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2010, 07:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Rogers Digital cable / broadband signal amplifier?

I use SageTV to view and record shows on my PC. The signal that gets to the PC is pretty weak (used to be fine, but the quality has degraded over time).

I have a digital cable box with Rogers (HD), and two analog televisions. I am using a splitter, which I am sure degrades the signal further.

I used to have a signal amplifier connected, but when I got the HD digital box I had to remove it as it caused problems.

Does anybody out there have Rogers cable or other digital cable provider, and use some kind of signal amplifier that actually works? I would like to amplify my digital and analog signals.

So far, I found this which might work:
NexxTech Two-Way Professional Broadband Signal Amplifier | Video Amplifiers | TheSource.ca

If anybody has a better suggestion, I would like to hear that. My internet signal, while using Rogers, is not connected to the same splitter and runs directly to the cable box on the wall.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried grounding the coax cables? If not try that by just removing the coax cable, touching the wire in the middle of the cable for a few seconds and then reseat the cable. I dunno how Rogers works but I would call them and see if they could place the amp on themselves, since cable companies use high end amplifiers and splitters. Did you put the splitter in yourself? Did you put the amplifier in yourself? The amp will just amplify the entire signal i believe, you can't just amplify digital or analog.
Old February 25, 2010, 07:25 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Have you tried grounding the coax cables? If not try that by just removing the coax cable, touching the wire in the middle of the cable for a few seconds and then reseat the cable. I dunno how Rogers works but I would call them and see if they could place the amp on themselves, since cable companies use high end amplifiers and splitters. Did you put the splitter in yourself? Did you put the amplifier in yourself? The amp will just amplify the entire signal i believe, you can't just amplify digital or analog.
It is a splitter used by Rogers. I'll try grounding it though.

I would like to amplify the digital and analog if possible actually.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure what the Source's return policy is, but if you can return it without wasting too much money in fees, I don't see the harm in trying it out.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would give it a shot, it seems like it should amplify the signal quite a bit as it claims to provide 14dB gain. This means your signal(s) are being amplified by 5 times (if i did the math correctly in my head). The source's return policy is like Wal-Mart, Best Buy/Futureshop so i say go for it.
Old February 28, 2010, 12:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

That one I liked is not a splitter, but does amplify. I wanted a splitter, so i had to buy the 4-way for $75. 8Db gain.

Worked like a charm, and the digital HD box gets along with it fine. Actually, I used to get some sound issues and blocks on some of the channels sometimes, and have not noticed the past couple of days. I have no idea if the improvement is from the amplifier yet, but time will tell.

The analog signal is good as new.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 28, 2010, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

I struggled with this same problem a few years back. I decided to opt for the Rogers VIP programme which entitles you to four connections free. (Rogers Tech will run the lines). I've used up three so far. The lines are brought into the house directly from the post outside. That way, you don't need splitters inside. The signals are also stronger. If you need a boost, Rogers will have to do it from outside your house - from the main box. Good luck.
Old March 1, 2010, 07:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
I struggled with this same problem a few years back. I decided to opt for the Rogers VIP programme which entitles you to four connections free. (Rogers Tech will run the lines). I've used up three so far. The lines are brought into the house directly from the post outside. That way, you don't need splitters inside. The signals are also stronger. If you need a boost, Rogers will have to do it from outside your house - from the main box. Good luck.
My landlord has the VIP package, but the line down to my apt runs all around the house. I had complained before about the quality, but the landlord was told that was all they could do.

Either way this seems to work well!
Fold for team #54196