Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Which system for HTPC??? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/29136-system-htpc.html)

biff February 21, 2010 09:47 PM

Which system for HTPC???

I've got two systems that can be used for an HTPC, pretty much just BD and music playback. The other will be in the workshop and used to run some drives for back up reasons, very light CAD work, and playing some workin' tunes. I'm pretty sure either system is more than adequate for either duty but I thought I'd ask just in case there some advantage that I'm unaware of to use either of the machines in a specific role.

System 1.) Asus P5E-VM HDMI w/E3110
System 2.) Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H w/Athlon II 425

Both systems will have 2GB and I have a passive Sapphire HD4670 that can go in either system.

Thoughts?

kingnubian February 22, 2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff (Post 337460)
I've got two systems that can be used for an HTPC, pretty much just BD and music playback. The other will be in the workshop and used to run some drives for back up reasons, very light CAD work, and playing some workin' tunes. I'm pretty sure either system is more than adequate for either duty but I thought I'd ask just in case there some advantage that I'm unaware of to use either of the machines in a specific role.

System 1.) Asus P5E-VM HDMI w/E3110
System 2.) Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H w/Athlon II 425

Both systems will have 2GB and I have a passive Sapphire HD4670 that can go in either system.

Thoughts?

Either system, when paired with the HD4670, will make a very nice HTPC for a Windows based setup. The HD4670 will allow even high bitrate HD video to be played with little impact on the cpu's workload courtesy of ATI's UVD2. This is naturally for supported video formats only. You choice of cpu's should be able to handle almost any video stream if software decoding is necessary as well.

The Intel E3110 is an E8400 under the hood and the Athlon II 425 is no sluch either.

All in all you have the beginnings, with either MB/CPU combo, of a very good HTPC setup.

I'd probably, just barely, go with the E3110 due to it's lower power requirements, 65W vs 95W, and corresponding lower potential heat/noise, ect. The HD4670 is a must though.

MAK February 22, 2010 09:19 AM

+1. I'd also go with the Asus/Intel CPU for the HTPC.

One reason is the storage: on my first HTPC I started with a simple motherboard that had only two SATA and two PATA connectors, and wanted just music and TV playback. Within a year I was starting to use the HTPC as a PVR, then I started to put my DVD collection directly onto the HTPC, and suddenly I found myself stuck after filling the case with three hard drives and the DVD drive.

I had to upgrade motherboard twice (my current HTPC monster has 7 SATA drives) and the case once.

In your case, both setups would be good for a decent HTPC. But the Asus motherboard has 6 SATA ports; the Gigabyte one has 4. I'd use the one with more ports, just in case.:biggrin:

biff February 22, 2010 10:38 AM

Good. The asus/intel system is already running as the HTPC now w/the 4670 so I don't have to change anything. Just thought I'd double check before I throw together the AMD system.