Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Patriot Box Office Media Player Review Comment Thread

For many people, home theater PCs (HTPCs) are daunting systems where they can easily get caught up in a web of conflicting codecs and some downright expensive hardware costs. Dedicated media players have been around for quite some time and until recently only allowed users to watch standard definition media files from a separate storage device. Now, with devices like Patriot’s Box Office, easy access to high definition content is right at your fingertips.

[ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; February 16, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good Rewiew securty <
Old February 16, 2010, 11:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

nice...

thinking of buying one!
Old February 17, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice this is a great dvd economy with the wi-fi capabilities. The only thing missing on this unit is a DVD player. That would be a so niec all in one film and streaming platform. If they add it I buy it without a question. Nice review AKG!!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

Nice review!

You are talking a lot about the Asus O!Play and Western Digital in your review.
Will you review theses later?I know there is other place that reviewed them but its not HWC quality
I would like to see how they compete each other in term of performance. Just like what you do with computer!

As for this;
Quote:
However, the Box Office’s abilities to play nearly every possible media CODEC out there and do it without the need to update anything is a powerful argument in its favour over a more complex HTPC.
What will happen if divx release a new codec? Does it offer some kind of codec upgrade via firmware?

Once again, i really appreciated your review!
Old February 17, 2010, 06:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Nice this is a great dvd economy with the wi-fi capabilities. The only thing missing on this unit is a DVD player. That would be a so niec all in one film and streaming platform. If they add it I buy it without a question. Nice review AKG!!!
If you go higher end you can find ones with Wifi built in and room for a optical disk or hard drive (or maybe both)
Old February 18, 2010, 10:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice review.
I was thinking of buying one of these and when I asked around in the different forums if it could play Blu Ray ISOs I was always told it could, I figured it was BS... glad I didn't buy it.

Old February 19, 2010, 02:56 PM
Trial Member

Default "N" wireless usb work?

Would plugging in a wireless USB adapter work on the Patriot Box Offiice media player?
Old February 20, 2010, 01:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
When it came to ISO support, things are spotty at best since the Box Office will play them, but if you start a movie you will not be able to get back to the menu main and if you stop watching you will not be able to resume. The other caveat is your ISO cannot have any DRM attached to it or it will not work.

Just loaded up my Star Wars ISO which i haven't watched for over a month and it continued from where i left off, also if you hit the menu button it does bring up the DVD menu, if you hit exit it resumes play ???? Not sure what you are talking about ? If i hit Home it brings up the PBO menu if i hit it again the movie resumes ??? Everything works fine for me although the remote is somewhat unresponsive while wirelessly streaming.

Did you not update the firmware ?

LPCM seems to be for 2 channel audio while ac3 6 channel is for 5.1 or 7.1 in my case, it is a bitch to have to switch back and forth, though it does all work fine otherwise, at least for me.

My biggest complaints is the crappy wireless G, it's almost useless for anything beyond Divx rips, there are a few N adaptors if you get the right chipset, plus they are supposedly working on one themselves...so. Theres also the unresponsive remote while the unit is working and a few niggling things with the firmware, but it's not that bad of a unit really.

Last edited by traitoR; February 20, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The only firmware I see available is a beta one. We try not to use beta firmwares for reviews.