Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2010, 06:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default Building DVR - Recording Only* - Bell/Rogers (Retention Info Also Welcome)

I'm looking to build a PVR that has the ability to record SD and HD from a cable box and/or satellite box. Being able to record 2 things at once is a huge plus. NO PLAYBACK NECESSARY.

I'd also like the ability to skip commercials, but I have the understanding this is software related, not hardware. Another 'nice touch' would be to have it attached to my network, but this would not be available right away, but something to keep in mind when it comes to hardware.

I have built a PC in the past, but what kind of requirements would satisfy these needs? I will be building from scratch I have planned to put the DVR right by the TV so small size is ideal.

What are the hardware requirements of this project, and an even better question, this is is possible.. right?

Last edited by Stix26; February 16, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um, one alternative to doing this is to call Bell/Rogers and speak to retentions... My HD DVR is free....

I'm not good with HTPC, but I believe you need a TV Tuner.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Um, one alternative to doing this is to call Bell/Rogers and speak to retentions... My HD DVR is free....

I'm not good with HTPC, but I believe you need a TV Tuner.
I plan on doing that, but I want a DVR/PVR to keep if I switch services and decline Bell's retention offer.

I'm aware I'll need a TV Tuner and/or a Capture card but I'm not sure about the other hardware requirements for Mobo, RAM, CPU, GPU etc.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:01 PM

My System Specs

I highly suggest w/ just going w/ a PVR provided by the service provider. There are very few choices out there currently for HD capable capture cards. The Hauppauge HD PVR is AFAIK is still the only capable one and it is a POS. I really wish I never bought one.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I highly suggest w/ just going w/ a PVR provided by the service provider. There are very few choices out there currently for HD capable capture cards. The Hauppauge HD PVR is AFAIK is still the only capable one and it is a POS. I really wish I never bought one.
Really?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try a little extra to get one through retention now...

Any tips for dealing with retentions are also welcome!
Old February 15, 2010, 07:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure the ATI TV Wonder 650 series record HD.

NCIX.com - Buy Diamond TV Wonder 650 Theater PCI-E TV Tuner Card ATSC NTSC HDTV FM - TVW650PCIEV In Canada.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like I said in 0o0's thread, that TV tuner you just posted is for OTA HD, not for recording from a HD box. You'd need a capture card that has component or HDMI(if one even exists with hdmi) and the choices are limited and expensive. I actually tried to look for one but couldn't find anything. Honestly your best bet is to get this: NCIX.com - Buy Hauppauge HD-PVR High Definition Video Recorder USB H.264 MPEG4 Component Up to 1080I W/ IR Blaster - 1219 In Canada. but if you were to do that you're better off just buying an actual PVR since you'd still have to build the computer and buy the HD box from your provider. I've looked into doing this a couple years ago and now I just own a Shaw HD PVR :) Only plus side to doing it with the Hauppage PVR and a computer would be that you could get 2 or 3 2TB HDDs and have 4-6TBs of space to record...
Old February 15, 2010, 08:44 PM

My System Specs

The Hauppauge HD PVR really isn't a quality device. After spending $300 on it and software for it, I come home to swear at it generally 2-3 times a week. The device will fail to record. And every show you try to record it after it will fail until you power cycle the HD PVR. So some days I will come home and 5 hours of TV didn't get recorded. Do this twice a week and you will come to realize how crappy it is.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
F@H

same here only problem with Pc use as PVR , I finish to buy the Motorola PVR of Star Choice, I can record one show when I lissen an other one, I have 2 tuner
Old February 15, 2010, 09:07 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
same here only problem with Pc use as PVR , I finish to buy the Motorola PVR of Star Choice, I can record one show when I lissen an other one, I have 2 tuner
I've been thiking about grabbing the star choice unit as well. Although it is still a crappy PVR compared to all the competitions. Almost all other PVR's out there these days allows recording of two shows at a time plus watching another one live.