Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hell i would like to know what you say to people at rogers. because my monthly bills from them are at almost 500$ between internet and cell phones and when we have a problem they tells us to ffff off many times and me and my wife have come to realize that they don't care because the Canada Government give's them are money anyways death to the crtc.

I want to kill rogers but they know i need them and what other chioces do we have oh ya bell so every couple of years were just supposed to play hop scotch back and forth from one to another.
ps glad i find this thread before i tell my Buddie to just build a pvr ah
Old February 16, 2010, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
hell i would like to know what you say to people at rogers. because my monthly bills from them are at almost 500$ between internet and cell phones and when we have a problem they tells us to ffff off many times and me and my wife have come to realize that they don't care because the Canada Government give's them are money anyways death to the crtc.

I want to kill rogers but they know i need them and what other choices do we have oh ya bell so every couple of years were just supposed to play hop scotch back and forth from one to another.
I don't want to hijack the thread.. but some advice for those on rogers.. What I did was called rogers said I was looking at expressvu pricing and there non promotional prices were cheaper than rogers. The lady on the phone offered me some crappy deal and I asked to cancel (this is what you need to do) and was handed off to a retentions agent. At this point I told him the deal I could get with bell ($52 High Def Package) and that they were offering me a free HDPVR. After that I got my bill reduced 20% and got a free High Def PVR thrown in.

To the OP I have thought about doing this many time and always came to the conclusion its not work it (For High Def). You would need two High Def Receives + Two High Def Happauge HDPVR's to be able to watch and record at the same time. So again telecommunications monopoly screws Canadians :(
Old February 16, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I love my Bell HD PVR it makes life so much easier. I bought it and installed it myself even :)
Old February 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't really heard of any triple tuner PVRs, except for MTS's whole home PVR which is 3 streams, I don't know if that means 3 tuners or what but who cares cause MTS tv blows.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Why go with StarChoice over Bell? I've had nothing but great HD service from Bell.
I have to agree with SKY here, I've been with both companies, and Bell has much better HD Service for sure.

I currently have a free HD PVR from Shaw, and I haven't tried much from it, I don't even know the size, I once tried to record a movie, 3 hr long, I noticed that he PVR stopped recorded only 2hrs.. Only reason I'm with Shaw is because I get a wicked unbeatable deal with them.

But to OP's question, as others have suggested, I too offer the same advice, get an HD PVR if you want to record in HD, if you just want to record in SD a good TV Tuner Card would do..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old February 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

Don't worry about hijacking the thread, I don't think I'll build a PVR anymore based on the feedback. I'm fine with retention discussion as I will be dealing with it whenever I call today!
Old February 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post

I want to kill rogers but they know i need them and what other chioces do we have oh ya bell so every couple of years were just supposed to play hop scotch back and forth from one to another.
Ya that's because every company has promotions for new customers, but guess what? After the promotion end you end up paying basically the same price!
Old February 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Ya that's because every company has promotions for new customers, but guess what? After the promotion end you end up paying basically the same price!
That depends on the length of the promotion and the length of the contract you agree to.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i think i will hold back on the hd pvr idea for my Buddie too. amazed that all the cards are that bad.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Guys guys, just check out this thread: [Home] Roger's Cable Retentions and New Customers Deal Thread!! - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

I gave it to the OP via PM earlier and I think it'd help a lot for those considering leaving Rogers or wanting to get a better deal. If you're a new customer, that thread applies to you as well!