Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 06:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Luxa2 LM300 Pro

Canada Computers - Cases > Desktop/Cube : Luxa2 LM300 Pro Home Theater Media PC Case with built-in Media LAB LCD (LVA30012N1Z).

One in stock at time of posting.

Luxa2 LM300 Pro ATX / MINI-ITX HTPC Case SILVER/BLACK 1X5.25 2X3.5INT W/ Hot Key Module No PSU: LVA30012N1Z at BEST PRICE

And there is list of places that can stock it but are out.
Old February 7, 2010, 06:45 PM
MVP

Connect your nas to this ReQuest - Full Product Line or this
Imerge: Products
Old February 7, 2010, 07:30 PM

My System Specs

I've tried all the other ones on pricebat. So far it looks like they all don't have stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
Connect your nas to this ReQuest - Full Product Line or this
Imerge: Products
Canada Computers has no online stock.

From the look of them they are complete media devices. Not just an HTPC case which I am looking for. I want to build my own machine running windows so I can run F@H in the background.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Don't know if this option works for you but the next generation of BluRay players coming this summer have networking capabilities. Skip the HTPC, get a new gen bluray player (has better video processing/upconversion and DAC's anyways), plays 3D, and still be able to stream your .mkv files from your Server/NAS to your blu-ray player. Then build your folding rig in a conventional tower or tech station for folding in another room.
This way you get better video, sound (there is a lot of jitter in a pc) and a more physically appealing AV unit rather than a PC.

Last edited by p3t3rson; February 9, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old February 9, 2010, 03:23 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
Don't know if this option works for you but the next generation of BluRay players coming this summer have networking capabilities. Skip the HTPC, get a new gen bluray player (has better video processing/upconversion and DAC's anyways), plays 3D, and still be able to stream your .mkv files from your Server/NAS to your blu-ray player. Then build your folding rig in a conventional tower or tech station for folding in another room.
This way you get better video, sound (there is a lot of jitter in a pc) and a more physically appealing AV unit rather than a PC.
First off I want a good user interface like XBMC. And I have my doubts the bluray player will be able to play 8 channel 24-bit FLAC audio. I also won't even have an optical drive in my HTPC, so a BD player isn't at all what I need right now.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, the look I want just does not seem to be available, have you considered looking at something like the Mac Mini? I know it's a dirty name/suggestion round these parts but if you load it with Linux the 9400M in there should roll VDPAU iirc, freeing up the processor for your F@H.

Edit: I should thank you for getting me introduced to XBMC, it's the only way I watch my movies/shows now
Old February 10, 2010, 09:09 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, the look I want just does not seem to be available, have you considered looking at something like the Mac Mini? I know it's a dirty name/suggestion round these parts but if you load it with Linux the 9400M in there should roll VDPAU iirc, freeing up the processor for your F@H.
Not near poweful enough for what I am looking for. I need at least an i7. Plus I already have most of the hardware needed for the HTPC.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:06 PM
MVP

lowfat
what about finding any case that the size is what you want and then just make front panel. You want something clean so that simplifies the build. Even if you had made at machine shop might be same price as one you are not real happy with, all you need is front panel with couple of buttons?
Old February 14, 2010, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

Does it have to be in stock? NCIX has the Luxa listed along with a couple of slightly lower end models; then again you've probably tried that already. What about getting a Sliverstone LC-20, GD02 or CW02, getting the drive bay area welded shut, re-brushed and re-anodized (if you're looking for something with color)?
Old February 21, 2010, 08:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

While I personally will want to get one when I do end up building myself an HTPC, it seems annoying that you really are having to look at $250-700 cases plus some sort of silent or high end psu which can be silent when a ~$300 dual core PC in a horrible case with a non-silent psu can play 1080p every format flawlessly as well as play some games...