Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2007, 07:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help me put this stuff together

Trying to get my Desktop/Gaming PC to be a part of an overall HTPC, I've still got to purchase the HTIB/Reciever and almost all the cables needed for hook up that didnt come with something I already have.

I've already got a desktop with 2 x2900xt's (in transit) a 30" lcd and a couple 20" lcd's on either side of the biggie. Sapphire Theater pro 650 (also in transit) and a PS3 as well as an HD satellite box on the way (sd right now)

I dont need anything more then 5.1 as the current setup is in a bedroom, and future possible move into a condo living room. I'm not so concerned with wattage (500+ I would hope) but more interested in connectivity of the reciever. Wireless rear speakers would also be very handy.

My main problem is the 30" monitor only has 1 input (dual link DVI) so it seems that unless I go out and get a plasma or lcdtv that all signals have to go through the pc somehow. The pc has optical out for sound, and from what I read the video cards have hdmi out (audio as well i assume)

Its fairly straight forward how to get my normal PC operations out to a reciever and booming, but how do I hook up the PS3 and Satellite tv? I'm guessing as is I have to settle for less res and put them in through the capture card, that sound right?

Anyways, any help appreciated.
Thanks

Have an A-1 day!
Old October 7, 2007, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You should of ordered the 30" LCD for normal desktop usage and a 32"+ LCD HDTV.

You have 3 monitors...not sure how that's going to work out.

If you had a TV, then everything could be plugged into it. Plain and simple. There would still be the DVI port on the video card for your 30" LCD monitor. The HDMI port would go to the TV.

I'd return the 20" LCDs and get a TV.

Otherwise, your going to have to run your PS3/Satellite though the Theater Pro 650, loosing all HD properties basically. What's the point in that?

As for sound, just go to your local store and listen to them. Buy the one that you believe sounds the best and has the features you want.
Old October 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Allstar

You may be able to get a DVI switch box.