Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default single core HTPC?

Greetings all. I was wondering if the following would be ok for a HTPC build.

P4 s775 3.2 Ghz
4GB pc6400
1TB hd
HD 4650
HTPC case
Auzentech sound card
HTPC case
400-500W psu
matx mb (intel) that will accept just about any s775 cpu
logitech cordless elite kb (currently retired)

I'm going for a really low-cost HTPC. I was rooting through the recycling cage at work and pulled the cpu from a Dell. I also have the HD4650 on hand. I'll definitely add a cpu cooler to squeeze out some extra Mhz. Any suggestions for the cooler, case and psu would be appreciated. This will be built hopefully before summer. Thanks

As this is my first htpc build I'll be reading your posts and asking questions (mostly software) Thanks.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It will definitely work. 2.0ghz socket 754 AMD with 512 does the job easy...
Old January 18, 2010, 11:47 PM
Top Prospect

I am using a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz in one of my older HTPCs, and it is running great. A real pleasure to use. But I think you will be surprised when you get it running: The 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 processors had Hyper-threading technology, which makes the processor work as a virtual dual processor or dual core system.

Under device manager, I see two pentium 4 CPUs (ACPI Multiprocessor PC) running in that HTPC.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ASUS P5Q

I have an Intel P4 3.0 double threded running on an ASUS P5Q Motherboard. It is used fore email and photo printing and storage space. Runs fine
Old January 19, 2010, 12:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Dont Know fore sure

Newegg.ca - ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Dont know fore sure that this will suport your prosessor, My ASUS P5Q does fore sure
Old January 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
MVP

These days HTPC's are more about vidoe card hardware acceleration capabilities than cpu speed. Look at the popularity of the Nvidia Ion platform which mates an Atom processor to a very capable GPU. The Atom is no thoroughbred by any means but these system can play 1080p without a hitch.

The only time that cpu power comes into play is with HD non supported video formats which gpu's hardware acceleration has no support for. This is becoming the exception & not the rule.

Your HTPC looks fine to me. Any low cost quality S775 board that supported your cpu & has a Pcie (Preferably 16x but not necessary actually) should do.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 20, 2010, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok. Now that the hardware has been taken care of, how about software? I plan on running XP sp2 on it. Because XP doesn't have a media centre, is there some sort of media centre software I can use similar to the vista or windows7 media centre? I'd prefer free. I would just like to have similar functions and some sort of interface for retrieving media.
I am also curious to know what media players you are all using. I plan on using the k-lite codec pack.It has served me well over the years.

Old January 20, 2010, 05:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would try to see if you can run windows 7 on it. Only reason i say this is i've notice that Windows 7 boots faster then xp, it doesn't seem to 'hang' as much when it gets near full load and that it just responds a lot better/faster when running a few programs. This is from my own tests using my N330 Atom Dual Core Processor with Hyper Threading enabled OC'd to 2.0GHz (similiar tests were done on both OSs at same OC) with 2GB of ram.

I would stay away from vista as if it were the plague for a htpc.
Old January 20, 2010, 05:50 AM
Top Prospect

Actually, Windows XP did have a media center, you just had to buy the special version (Windows XP Media Center Edition). That's what i have on my old HTPC. It runs great.

And I agree: avoid Vista, go with either Win XP MCE 2005 or Windows 7.
Old January 20, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I already have XP on hand. I'd rather not go out and buy another OS. I just ditched my vistagarbage for win7 oem premium and my gf is going to make the switch from win7 RC to oem premium in the next few weeks. I'm sure there must be some free or relatively cheap mc software out there somewhere. Otherwise, I'll stick to the old-fashioned music, videos and music folders. If all goes well, I should have my 120hz 40" sharp aquos by the end of march.