Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2010, 07:37 AM

My System Specs

I ran Vista on my HTPC for 2 years w/o a hitch. But XBMC Live is likely the way to go. Build a Silent, Standalone XBMC Media Center On the Cheap - Feature - Lifehacker
Old January 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

If you want free, try XBMC or Mediaportal. You will find that in both cases there will be features that are easy to implement and you will like and some features you will have struggle with; most likely you will rely on help from user forums.

I never went for either, I didn't have the time to chase down third party plugins and troubleshoot the support issues.

Here's a list of the packages from wikipedia - it might help. I also used to hear a lot of good things about SageTV, but it is not free.

Comparison of PVR software packages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old January 20, 2010, 09:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

MediaPortal has a great forum, and support. I used to use it, but now I have Win7, so I switch between the MCE GUI and regular GUI.

Old January 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I checked out both mediaportal and XBMC. I'm sure both have pros and cons, but I think I'll go with XBMC. I've been googling for a remote control that will work with XBMC but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Is anyone here using one that works? USB maybe? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 20, 2010, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect

For remotes, have a look at this HOW-TO:

HOW-TO make Windows boot directly to XBMC (as a shell) - XBMC

Interesting what XBMC supports. You need ExentGhost to translate remote commands into events for XBMC.

You call also look at the XBMC manual pages (default controls) but they say very little, really.

Default Controls - XBMC

Good luck and let us know how you like it!