Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2010, 01:37 PM
MVP

If you want PVR software. I would suggest SnapStream Beyond TV (for recording TV, etc), or SageTV. XBMC for everything else. If you plan on trying to record HDTV (say from Bell or Rogers), you are going to need a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 or 1219. You may want to pick up a USB UIRT (they seem to work better then the IR Blasters that come with Hauppauge tuner cards).

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 14, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Anyone have any experience with the 1212? I see they use TMT for playback which I already have for playing BD anyway so playback integration into VMC should be pretty easy. Just wondering about setting it up to record... does it have some kind of software that will work with an online guide from Rogers or will it have to be a manual setup like the old VCR's? ... as long as it doesn't flash 12:00!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old January 31, 2010, 01:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
For "basic cable", just plug the cable into the TV. It will have a coaxial cable input. If you want digital HD cable, you have to buy/rent a HD decoder or PVR from Shaw/Rogers as their signals are encrypted. The only reason for a HDMI cable into the TV is to pass a HD signal.

I built a HTPC box, and then sold it and bought a PS3 instead. It streams .avi's and music from my computer, does slideshows, plays games, and could surf the net with a add-on keyboard. You need to really examine what you want to do, because most HTPC setups won't work in Canada without a separate set-top box.
Sorry to barge into the topic here... but when you say 'set-top box' you mean something like a black box right? (eg. shaw cable's HD terminal box)

thanks

EDIT: silly me... should have used google before i asked =P