Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They make standards FOR A REASON. Hell, coat hanger works better than Monster Cable. The only time Monster Cable would come in handy would be for extremely long transmission distances, due to their large cross-sectional area.

Resistance of a cable = (length of cable) / (resistivity constant * cross-sectional area). This also applies to thermodynamics as well. Having a greater CS area results in a smaller resistance.

That's only the tip of the iceberg though. I won't get into the rest. It's easy to find info on this stuff.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I think a part of it is simply pragmatism. Put simply, these magazines/shows/websites owe their existence to the existence of high-end stuff. If there's no difference between the $1 cable and the $150 cable, or the $200 amp and the $2000 amp, or the $500 television and the $5000 television, etc, why are they even around? In order to justify their presence, there NEEDS to be "something better" for their readers to aspire to, and for them to showcase in their upcoming issue.

Of course, in all fairness, the flip-side of this argument is that there IS some real, genuine crap out there. And when something is bad enough, the quality of the output actually WILL suffer. But it's difficult to know where that line is, and there are plenty of people willing to take advantage of consumer uncertainty.
Because you can't really compare cables to a tv or amplifier.

A $200 WILL be less superior to that of a $2000 amplifier and the same goes for a $200 tv compared to a $2000 tv.

With that sort of stuff it allows the consumer to make a choice based off their budget, but when it comes to accessories and such.. the customers don't know any better and believe what the sales person pitches them so they buy a $100 6 foot hdmi cable when they could have spent $10.

But since the sales person is going to make a large commission off that $800 tv and $100 cable.. why would he not want to sell it?
Old January 15, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's just the nature of digital - it works or it doesn't. There's a 1 and a 0, no 0.5. It may be more likely to NOT show a picture at all but it will give the same image quality.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, my 25 foot HDMI cable from NCIX does its job well...

-Plato
Old April 4, 2010, 11:48 AM
Rookie

Buy from Monoprice.com, great quality & super cheap. Has been often been given as a recommended vendor by the HT folks over at AVSforum and HTF.
Old April 11, 2010, 08:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I heard a good podcast awhile back that was all about HDMI, cables and the different specs if anyone is interested.
The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte