Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
Rookie

Default HTPC $1000 build

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.

I've been reading the forums for the last 2 weeks regarding HTPC's, and would like some advice
please.

Basically this system will be in the living room and will be used for surfing the internet,
movie storage,blue ray player, picture and music storage. The price range I'm in is $1000,
but I would go over@ $200 if the system I am building was considerably better. This price excludes the
Windows 7 software that I plan on buying.
I'm not planning on playing games on this machine.

It will be connected to my 46" Sony series 5 530 LCD tv.

So far I'm set on the NMEDIA HTPC-6000 case as a starting point.

I was thinking of using:

Intel I5 750 cpu
Asus P7p55D-E pro motheboard as a starting point
TV card not required at this time.

I'm open to suggestions and input.

I would like the video card to be HD and have HDMI input to my tv . I believe that the tv screen resolution is 1920X1080.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am quite unsure why you'd get such a powerful CPU for an HTPC, I would personnally go for something a fair bit cheaper, which runs fairly cool. Something like an AMD Athlon II X4 600e which would be plenty for an HTPC, it could then be paired with a nice 785G mobo and you'd pretty much be in business. You could of course get yourself a GPU instead of using the onboard (even if it can do HD).
Old January 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There is no real reason to spend that much money on a cpu/mobo for a HTPC. I am looking at an htpc mod build of my mine which will use an atom processor/mobo with 9400M onboard gpu and i've read and seen that it can handle more then anything thrown at it (aka 1080p playback) and costs hundreds less then what you're looking to spend on the core of a pc that will never be taxed as a htpc
Old January 1, 2010, 05:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

AMD Athlon II X2 240, a motherboard that uses the 785G chipset, 2-4GB of RAM and you're good to go.

Absolutely no point of buying an i5 for a media-playback machine. If you were doing some major video editing/encoding on it, then maybe it would be worthwhile.
Old January 1, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
There is no real reason to spend that much money on a cpu/mobo for a HTPC. I am looking at an htpc mod build of my mine which will use an atom processor/mobo with 9400M onboard gpu and i've read and seen that it can handle more then anything thrown at it (aka 1080p playback) and costs hundreds less then what you're looking to spend on the core of a pc that will never be taxed as a htpc

Listen to this. CPU usage on those MiniITX systems drop to 1 or 2 % once you introduce a video card that will decode the video stream.

If you don't want to game and all you want to do is store movies and do playback then maybe look into an ITX setup. I would have gone that way for sure except for the fact I want to game on my system.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'd like to stick to intel for my cpu ,and like I said I'm really open to suggestions here.

I fix cars for a living ,and I am somewhat computer savy, but no expert by a long shot.

How about the Asus P5QL-VMDO motherboard with the intel E6500 cpu for a starting point?

Is this still over kill?

What video card do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Craig
Old January 1, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend one of ATI's lower end video cards. They allow you to pass video and audio over an HDMI cable, making for a very clean install into your home theater room.

That processor is still way overkill. Arinoth's system is a single or dual core processor at around 1.6ghz, and it's processor usage is under 5% or thereabouts when doing 1080P video due to the video card doing all the work.

Have you checked out any of Zotac's Mini-ITX offerings?
Old January 2, 2010, 06:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

At the most on Intel's side, E5200. Don't need anything above that. Though I'd imagine the E3200 would be plenty too.

Something like this would do: NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Value Bundle Deal Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 Gigabyte G41M-ES2H & Kingston 2GB HyperX RAM - G41-E5200-2GB In Canada.

I'd probably toss in a HD4350 as well since I'm not too sure how good Intel outputs HD.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's a good mix jdrom17. I'd still get the ATI card for the ability to bitstream over HDMI.

I think I'd still be really tempted to go for a really nice desktop style HTPC case in the ITX format
Old January 2, 2010, 09:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
That's a good mix jdrom17. I'd still get the ATI card for the ability to bitstream over HDMI.

I think I'd still be really tempted to go for a really nice desktop style HTPC case in the ITX format
I don't think there's too many nice ITX cases yet. And well ITX systems cost a bit more, but I guess that's not an issue here. There's a good selection of mATX HTPC cases though.