Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   media pc? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/26482-media-pc.html)

BrianHanna December 11, 2009 07:02 PM

media pc?

i think i might be interested in building a Media pc for my living room for my family.

play blu ray, dvd etc etc connect to internet.

whats the most i would be looking at.

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Lascala LC17B Black ATX HTPC Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT W/ 2X80MM Case Fan - LC17B In Canada.

thinkign of making this the case.

the Television that it would be hooked up is 1080i im pretty sure.

patpond January 9, 2010 02:35 PM

Well, I'll start off this with the statement "I am not an expert"

That being said, get ready for my two cents :thumb:

Some ppl will tell you to spend thousands on an HTPC. I disagree. You can accomplish a decent HTPC with HD for very little money. For example, I had a GeForce Ti4something (can't remember exact name/specs of card... sorry) running on a P3 1.0Ghz board (can't remember specifics here either... sorry)

Anyways, that was pumping Planet Earth (HD) to a HDTV with the res you're looking to run - 1080i (this is basically a beefy 720p btw)

What most ppl say about the HTPC is to silence it. I disagree again. imho it doesn't have to be totally silent. A normal PC doesn't generate too much noise. Once you turn up the TV you won't hear anything. Now, there are those who will take a big crap on me here, but don't listen to them. You can accomplish what you want with very little. Currently I have a P35 board using the HDMI port (no GPU here :whistle: ) and that's working to decode 1080p content. :punk:

Think about it like this, can your PC play HD stuff on your desktop? If so, it can more than likely display it on your TV too.

Back to your questions, that case would look awesome. Any MB/CPU (nothing special) would do the trick. You would probably want to have at least 2GB of RAM.

-Pat Pond

P.S. - Again, Not an Expert, but I have built a few of these :bananafunky:

norfolk February 11, 2010 02:49 AM

I am currently using one of these.
HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f - Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com
All I need is to install a blu-ray player and some software to run it and I am all set.

misterd February 11, 2010 06:00 AM

I am running the second PC in my sig as an HTPC hooked up to my 46" Aquos. I do like mine to be silent because i'm not watching TV all the time. One thing I noticed hooking up my receiver was that I had to use DVI -> HDMI for video and an optical cable for audio in order to get more then 2 channel (stereo) audio. Maybe it's my Gigabyte 780g board's fault, I didn't look into it too much. Happy building! :punk:

gingerbee February 11, 2010 06:23 AM

just look at my sig there my htpc ( overkill big time but it's more future proofing ) i don't think it makes enough noise to bother anyone using it at all.

Fudd Rucker February 11, 2010 07:50 AM

Ive made a really good business as of recently selling HTPCs as they are all the rave here since ive sold and setup a few for friends.

List of parts ive been using :

Athlon x3 425 (80% unlock rate with the combos im using)
GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H
Whatever cheap 4gb kit of ddr2 is on sale
BFG 450w psu
1TB WD green
LG bluray rom (or dvd burner,whatever the customer requests)
Theatre Pro 650/MCE remote
Customer picks case

Win 7 media center takes care of the rest of it.Setup is brutally simple and quick.

These usually run 600ish at the very most and I have yet to hear of any of the machines ive built from that list to have a problem.

biff February 12, 2010 08:18 PM

Gingerbee... pssst... you don't have any computers in your sig...

Fudd Rucker, What are the advantages of the AMD setup you listed vs. say a e5200/GA-G41M-ES2H which is ~$15 to $20 cheaper? Also are there any notable difference in W7MC vs. VMC? I use VMC and am wondering if it's worth switching over.

@OP, to add to the opinions expressed here re: noise. I'd chose components with with noise reduction in mind but I wouldn't get carried away since it's going to be a minimalist system anyway you're not going to have any screaming fans. when picking a PSU pick one that is known to be quiet (I use and like the corsair 400W BTW), if your picking a vid card and you have the choice might as well get a passive one unless you're gaming heavily. My personal HTPC has a scyth mini-ninja for the cpu, a passive 4670 and use the PSU fan to exhast the warm air, the mini ninja wasn't too expensive and I think I paid an extra $20 or so for the passive version of my vid card and the system is really quiet.