Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2009, 11:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Suggestion on New Receiver

I feel like i have a little of everything going on me lately, or at least it seems that way. Last week i was starting to get slight crackling (not static, crackly) coming out of my front right speaker spuratically, i thought it was something i was watching or listening. A couple days later i turn on my 360 and all i can hear is crackling out of the front right speaker.

My first assumption is that the speaker is going, or its the hdmi cable somehow. I tested both by seeing if it does it with my computer, it does, not as bad but the crackling is there. I then test the speaker by moving it to another channel and moving a working one to that channel. The speaker works (the one that was in the right channel and moved to another channel) but i still get crackling out of the front right channel, no matter what speaker i use.

So i find out that my open box from best buy had only 90 day warranty on it, no worries i bought this thing on staff and got the 4 year best buy warranty for a steal. The kicker here is that there are no best buys in NB and it seems that samsung does not allow people to do repairs on their audio systems. SO i am waiting to hear back from best buy when they get this in writing from the local repair depot before they will either do an exchange (dunno how, no best buy here) or give me money for it.

Now that i'm done my story, i was wondering what i should get to replace it. It was a samsung AV-R720 (the receiver). I'm assuming they'd have to give me either full or partial money/pay out for it so i dont know the exact amount i'd be spending but i'll give you a ballpark figure and what i want from it.

Looking to spend up to 400$ (preferably taxes included but we'll see what best buy says they'll do for me). I am looking for it to have at least 2 HDMI inputs and well 1 HDMI output where it DOES the audio processing (aka there are low low end receivers that have hdmi in and out but just by-pass any audio processing and throw it to the tv and don't actually play hdmi audio).
Old December 9, 2009, 11:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Update: I am getting a giftcard for it for the value of the entire then, so thats about 430$.

Anyone every tried to fix a receiver before, since they are leaving me with it i was thinking of fixing it, pocketing the money they give me and buy something else.

Last edited by Arinoth; December 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Onkyo SR-507.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah that's a good one or Denon AVR-590.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Onkyo SR-507.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If they have it the Yamaha RX-V 465 is really nice unit.

Well not as nice as the Yamaha but still good is the Pioneer VSX-819H-K.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Upon finding out my warranty was gone and they were sending me that gift card for its value i opened it up, blew some compressed air and checked some connections, hooked everything up and no crackle so i wont be looking for a receiver, now gotta figure out what to do with the money on the gift card i'll be getting end of this month...
Old December 10, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i'm glad that it was just a dust issue. In regards to your gift card. If you have been eyeing any movies or games now would be the time i guess to get them. in regards to receivers anything by Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Marantz will do you just fine. As far as price tiers go. Also i would stay away from most of sony's stuff. For about the same price you can get a much nicer receiver from onkyo or pioneer

Onkyo / Pioneer (non Elite Series) are in the low to mid range ($300-500 avg)
Denon / Yamaha are in the mid to high range ($600-800 avg)
Marantz ($800+)
Old December 10, 2009, 09:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah since its working i am no longer interested in getting a new/replacement receiver
Old December 10, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

just thought i would pass along my suggestions should you be looking for one in the future. Or you could go crazy and get some amps from mcintosh (i wish i had some of those) McIntosh | Home
Old December 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Which i do appreciate but i just wanted to clear up that i'm not going to be replacing it any time soon now, just gotta figure out what to get from best buy when i get the gift card...