Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2009, 12:01 AM
Top Prospect

i guess the harmony is less wife friendly ?
Will i need to change from sagetv extender to my samsung tv remote manually on harmony config? Or it can be done automaticaly?
Old December 5, 2009, 09:41 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay3r View Post
i guess the harmony is less wife friendly ?
Will i need to change from sagetv extender to my samsung tv remote manually on harmony config? Or it can be done automaticaly?
The Harmony is about as wife friendly as possible. As long as you setup all the tasks properly. I quit using a Harmony w/ my PC about 6 months ago (bought a Dinovo Mini instead). But IIRC it was pretty painless. I do believe that in the Harmony software setup all you needed to do was select Hauppauge HD PVR from the computer list. It does the rest.
Old December 6, 2009, 08:44 AM
Top Prospect

Nice!
Which harmony remote did you have?
I've seen this Logitech Harmony 520 Universal Remote - Controls up to 12 Devices - Recertified for 42$. Any good?

Just wondering if i have to change profile each time i want to either control my htpc or samsung tv or its just automatic when i press button?
Old December 6, 2009, 10:11 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Nice!
Which harmony remote did you have?
I've seen this Logitech Harmony 520 Universal Remote - Controls up to 12 Devices - Recertified for 42$. Any good?

Just wondering if i have to change profile each time i want to either control my htpc or samsung tv or its just automatic when i press button?
I had a Harmony 880. 520 should be fine though.

Depends on what you wanted to do. If you wanted to turn up the volume on the TV while watching a movie on your HTPC then you wouldn't need to change anything. But if you wanted to watch TV on your TV then you would hit the button 'watch tv' It really is very easy.
Old December 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
Top Prospect

I guess i will go with a harmony remote but the 880 is a bit too expensive for me.
I have been looking at reviews on the 520 and 550. I like the 550 extra 6 buttons which probably can be programmed to go into my video menu.
I guess the 520 can do about the same but i will probably have to program the activity in the soft key which resolve in more than 1 button pressed?

Also the 550 price is about twice the 520...does the 6 buttons worth it?
Recertified: Logitech Harmony 550 Universal Infrared Advanced Remote Control 80$
Old December 6, 2009, 07:08 PM

My System Specs

I only used like 10 buttons total when I used the remote, so I doubt it.
Old December 7, 2009, 06:11 AM
Top Prospect

Alright thanks you!

I know harmony can use a profile of the hauppage HD-PVR remote, but what happen with the missing button on the harmony? I am talking about the home button, TV, Videos, Music, Picture. How will i acess them? Only available on the lcd screen?

Time to go read more on these harmony remotes
Old December 7, 2009, 03:30 PM
HaDeS

Quote:

Thanks you!

Edit: its not working with sageTV?
Edit2: nvm it work but has some delay? Any tips to fix it?
What delay are you talking about exactly? If you mean the difference between live tv (on the starchoice box) or live tv on the HTPC then there's nothing you can do there is always a bit of delay. The only time you notice this is when the audio is tuned to the topbox and you are watching tv on the HTPC.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:33 AM
Top Prospect

The delay it has before it switch channel.. Well i got used to it now.
I tried to find a fix but no sucess and as you say there is probably nothing to do about it.

As for the harmony remote, i am now looking to buy the 610 or 620.
They have more buttons than the 520-540 but its a bit more expensive.
The 610 has only 5 devices max thats why i am considering the 620 cause i would need a bit more.

Now trying to find a deal on the 620, it seem to be really rare at e-retailer and mostly out of stock when i find one.