Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default can my computer hook up to a media player

well ok the would be yes I an hook it up, but what I should of asked is if I bought something like Western Digital WDTV Live HD Network Media Player how would the files be played in the media player, would it be through LAN and if so would there be any type of Lag or other issues, or would I just be better off getting a external drive and transfering the files to the drive off of my Computer?
I watched Linus on one of his vids he did on the Western Digital WDTV Live HD Network Media Player all he did was open the box and show the contents I am not sure how it works . like for instants say I had a data traveler 3gb and if I were to plug that into the media player wouldn't the avi files or dvd files lag because of the speed of the data traveler being low, which is also why I wonder how it would work over lan.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there's many ways to play off of one of these units through the lan/internal HD/usb whether it be a hd or flash stick
Old December 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
there's many ways to play off of one of these units through the lan/internal HD/usb whether it be a hd or flash stick
if it is a flash stick wouldn't it be laggy because a flash stick has a slow speed doesn't it?
Old December 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would think so i have never used 1 with a flash stick. i have only tried the wd 1. a Buddie has it never tried a flash stick so i can't say but i would think so for hd stuff anyway.
Old December 3, 2009, 03:28 PM
MVP

I bought the WDTV live a couple weeks ago. I chose to go with a wired connection, I figured that would be the most stable, however you can purchase wireless USB adaptors. It has 2 USB connections, one off the side and one on the back if I recall. You could also attach a USB hard drive.
The WD TV live will read a stream off your media server or will read off a network share. I use it off a network share. I've only watched ISO from DVD rips and some 720p mkv blu rips. There is no lag. I'm not certain but 1080p I think only needs about 50 Mpbs so a 100 or 1000 Mbps network shouldnt be an issue either. (Although wireless technically shouldnt be an issue either). It worked quite well for a few days but then started disconnecting from the share (but still on the network as youtube still worked etc). Not sure what that was about but after flashing my router (DIR615) with an updated firmware its seems to be running great again.
One benefit the WD TV has is the ability to display cover art. My kids are 2 and 4 so pictures are manadatory when choosing a movie to watch. Its quick to scroll, connect etc...
Thats not to say there isnt lots of room for improvement its still along ways from XBMC but for $120 you cant go wrong. The remote is tiny, and bound to get lost but works fine. Had a few network issues as I said but they seem to be resolved now.
Old December 3, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A little. found this 1 for sale seems kinda cheap any one heard of mediasonic
NCIX.com - Buy Mediasonic HM5 1080P HD Media Player HDMI USB 2.0 A/V SPDIF Out MKV RMVB H.264 XVid Black - HM5 In Canada.
Old December 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
MVP

I think he's looking for something that hooks up to his computer, and that one will not.

a few options

WD TV live,
Patriot box office (I think you may find a review from Cheator soon http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post295658)
Popcorn hour,
Asus Oplay

Theres a few others with built in network or you can purchase a USB/network adaptor for wired or wireless connection.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am aware of that I was just asking if any have any experience with this 1 it's kinda low end that's why i asked. just thought the price was kinda good fro a cheapish one
Been trying not to buy that patriot box ( must save money for more parts )just seeen the link have been waiting on this almost forgot thank