Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 12:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay3r View Post
Wow thanks! The APC 1300VA at Futureshop is so tempting specially with free shipping! Can I put it on the side to be able to fit under my tv? What about the noice on theses?
Crazy! That unit weighs a good 50 pounds. I didn't even notice the free shipping - I'm there 3 or 4 times a week so I don't even think of that. Turning it sideways shouldn't hurt, the other option is putting behind your TV stand. Noise wise, it's audible but pretty quiet - and I'm picky about my noise. You will have a TV & etc blaring over the whisper this will put out.

Quote:
Noob question;
can u use more than the 8 output connection by using multi ouput connector? I know the battery will drain faster but i need about 10 inputs. Is it doable?
Off the top of my head, I think it only has 6 battery backup plugs + 2 surge protection only, but yes by all means plug a power bar into it. Just not another UPS.

One last thing, when getting my house wired by the electrician, he suggested that it be on a dedicated circuit by itself because of the load it can pull when charging the battery. Just something to consider if you have options.

Old December 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect

The closest Futreshop is at 1h30 driving from my house
I go there once in a while but i like the free ship a lots!

Thanks for the good informations you gave me right there!

As for my wiring, my house is old and i doubt there is much dedicated circuit in this room. My air conditionner is in that part of the house and when the compressor goes on, you notice the light turn up and down. Thats basicly why i want to protect my home theater from the electricty variation.

Also another thing, i see the cord is about 6 feets long compared to the 10' from the belkin. Do you think i can safely plus an extension to be able to reach the wall outlet.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Argh thats a good point about the power the ups would draw. Im probably near the limit as it is, might have to run another circuit, boo!

169 is a great price, nice find misterd!
I wonder if I should hold off until boxing day though, probably wont get much more of a deal then that on a quality ups.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

I've read somewhere that power supply with active PFC (mine is) doesnt like much all non-true sine wave Ups. However all true sine wave are way overpriced... I wonder if this can potentially dammage my new seasonic 400ES... Do you know anything about this?
Old December 17, 2009, 05:43 PM
Top Prospect

anyone know about it?

Deal end soon
Old December 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

I have no ideas and now the deal is over. All the computers I have plugged into it are using the older style voltage selecting PSUs. I would think it's probably best to plug it directly into the wall as the cord is very thick and probably rated for the power it can pull when needed. I would hate to see your house burn from an electrical fire.

Old December 18, 2009, 11:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

im starting to move to the MinuteMan UPS products due to the price (and the fact that APC Powershute software is butt awful)

I dont have an answer for you slay3r but i would caution EVERYONE about UPS orientation.

Read the manual carefully regarding vertical or on-it's-side placement of these things. Not all can be placed on their sides safely and IF they can be placed on their sides there is a preferred side that should be facing up (it will be in the manual).

Happy shopping! ;)
Old December 18, 2009, 01:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've read somewhere that power supply with active PFC (mine is) doesnt like much all non-true sine wave Ups. However all true sine wave are way overpriced... I wonder if this can potentially dammage my new seasonic 400ES... Do you know anything about this?
Im still trying to decide what ups to get, how important is it to have a sine wave over a step sine. Is it really an these days?
Old December 18, 2009, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

I've read an article somewhere (sorry i cant find source) that most psu manufacturer (ie Corsair) recommand using a true sine wave with their new psu that are Active PFC. It has something to do with the voltage when ups is on battery.

I didnt buy the ups, i will probably wait next deal arround christmas. I want to be sure enought what i am buying.

Thanks you for pointing out the ups orientation warning, i will use it the correct way i guess.

I havent heared of MinuteMan Ups, are they better than APC? I was going APC cause they have good reputations.

How much time can i plan to keep this Ups? I havent found many battery on sale and most people seem to just buy a new Ups when their old are dieing.