Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Default Need some advice on a cheap media player

I need some help with some media players.

I'm basically putting together something for my grandmother before I leave the country for a year.

I've got everything on an internal drive at the moment.

I have a spare 500gb 3.5" drive or a 2.5" 160gb drive I can use for it. I have a 3.5" enclosure but preferably I'd like something that allows a 2.5" internal. A 2.5" external would be acceptable too if player + enclosure is a cheaper option than a player that allows internal. My main worry is having to turn the 3.5" on/off at the source as her knees are pretty bad.

What I need is basically a relatively cheap media player that most of all is ridiculously user friendly.

I don't mind spending time with it in order to make it as simple as possible but it basically has to work without a hitch once I give it to her.

LAN, Wifi support doesn't matter.

RMVB doesn't matter, pretty much all avi's.
.mkv support would be nice though, just in case, not 100% necessary.
HD doesn't matter either.

Preferrably I'd like to stay under $200 after tax.

Been looking at WDTV original. From the limited on screen I've seen it seems like a simple interface. However, it requires an external drive. Anyone know of an internal supported player at a low price point?

I have 0 experience of these things and have never really been interested in them before to research. I'm starting now but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, cheers.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I hate to say it but what about the 8 gig ipod touch ( i am not an apple fan and even i have thought about one of these ) just my 2 cents but i am gonna need them back there the only cents i have ha ha
Old November 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Patriot Box Office has internal 2.5 HDD/SSD capabilities. Its basically the same as the Asus 0!Player in that it uses a realtek SoC. Only thing is it doesn't up convert....but it will play damn near anything out there. Interface is simple and very easy to use. Even comes with HDMI and composite cables.

I've setup many Asus 0!Players in the past couple months, and prolly a dozen WDs and a Patriot box office (very recently). ALL are great bang for your media players.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 26, 2009, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks AkG,

I think I'm going to go for the Patriot.