Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

but would a hdmi sound card also pass the dts-hd signal or should i look at something that can do that over digital coax/toslink. Hmm. this is getting expensive i might just have to break down and upgrade my PH.

Old November 2, 2009, 08:52 PM
MVP

You do not/shouldn't have to install codecs for XBMC, they are included in XBMC. SO I am unsure how XBMC will react to a codec package being installed.

XMBC does have some key usage that may seem a little odd. But once you figure it out...it will all be very clear they needed to do it that way. When it seems like it is stuck....give it a few seconds. It hasn't hasn't crashed, just the odd time it seems like it (very rare when this happens actually).

You could use a remote to use on XBMC. I have a FireFly Remote (came with BeyondTV). I hit a button and XBMC starts up....hit another to shut XBMC down.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old November 2, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

unfortunately software that get stuck or randomly crashes is an extreme pet peeve for me. so i think i will just be using my htpc as a music player. And live with my popcorn hour until i have the extra cash to upgrade to either the A-110 or C-200. IMHO there are only 2 things missing from the popcorn hour (decent music player and ATSC tuner support)

Old November 2, 2009, 09:15 PM
MVP

How often is it freezing up on you. Cause in 10 months XBMC has crashed maybe twice...done the freeze thing maybe twice a month (every time it does these things, it is something I did...while tweaking or learning what a feature does).

Old November 2, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

while testing playback i have had it become unresponsive at least 2-3 times tonight as well as a program crash. Also the live cd doesn't work properly

Old November 2, 2009, 09:38 PM
MVP

Well...if it was me. I would be doing a format and reinstall of windows. I like to start clean canvas ...cause god knows what installing those codec packages have done =(

I am running XBMC off a e5200, 1GB ram, intel pro 1000GT and a ATI 4550. Runs smooth...plays HD stuff on xbmc with no issues (the movies are played over the network).

I am not as familiar with AMD as I use to be...but it certainly looks like you have more then enough system to run XBMC.