Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2009, 05:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Gaming HTPC

So thinking about building a gaming HTPC but I don't know too much about HTPCs, never even seen one before. I mostly just want to be able to play DVDs, Blu-Rays, play games, and some other things. Thinking about using an i5 750, 4 GBs ram, and a 1TB harddrive (won't be burning Blu-Rays or anything). No idea about the motherboard and I'm not set on intel either. No idea about HTPC cases either.

I heard the newer ATI cards can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD over HDMI. Might go for a 5870 or something so I can be sure to play the newer games at 1080p.

And are newer wireless keyboards and mice any good for gaming? Last time I tried to game with wireless stuff it never worked well but that was years ago. Any input would be awesome.
Old October 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What video card do you have now? Actually, what are you system specs? You might already be able to do so now.
Old October 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have random parts but they're all really old. Some low end 939 parts are the best I still have. Nothing able to handle 1080p gaming. The only two systems I have up and running now are an old P4 I use for web browsing and a laptop. The reason why I want to go HTPC is that anything else I want to do besides basic browsing, I'd like to do on my HDTV and with surround sound.
Old October 16, 2009, 08:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would say that you should be ok, even with a 5850 or anything that can perform well enough for you, at a resolution of 1920 x 1200 I'd say. As for the i5 750 and 4GB of RAM, that will be able to handle games real well.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:34 PM
Rookie

The 5xxx series of vid cards are the ONLY way to bitstream the HD audio codecs, other than the Asus Xonar 1.3HDAV (sp??) soundcard, which costs around $200.

The 5870 you mention will anihalate any game (probably even Crysis on Ultra) @ 1920x1080p.

Wireless input devices have some necessary lagg, so playing online RTSs might not be a flawless experience, but for casual/off line gaming, it shouldnt be too much of an issue. I have the Logitech diNovo wireless keyboard, and I would say lag is less than 1 millisecond.

Cases are a personal thing. Lian li and Silverstone make some great AV-equipment-looking cases, but if you dont care what they look like, a conventioal case like the antec 300 would probably be both cheaper and more effective.

Ben
Old October 18, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i also like the nmedia cases as it's a good compromise between the look and price. but then again i don't have a HTPC (a ps3 and a PH is all i need )

Old October 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Speed View Post
So thinking about building a gaming HTPC but I don't know too much about HTPCs, never even seen one before. I mostly just want to be able to play DVDs, Blu-Rays, play games, and some other things. Thinking about using an i5 750, 4 GBs ram, and a 1TB harddrive (won't be burning Blu-Rays or anything). No idea about the motherboard and I'm not set on intel either. No idea about HTPC cases either.

I heard the newer ATI cards can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD over HDMI. Might go for a 5870 or something so I can be sure to play the newer games at 1080p.

And are newer wireless keyboards and mice any good for gaming? Last time I tried to game with wireless stuff it never worked well but that was years ago. Any input would be awesome.
If you are not running blu-ray than you won't need the next gen ATI cards. An ATI 4670 is fine. But if you really want the the next gen ATI I would go with the 5850. Running a 5870 is bit overkill.

A lot of HTPC run AMD processors because they run much cooler, thus less fan, thus less noise. That being said i5 is an excellent HTPC platform regardless. Do you want mATX or ATX?
Old October 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I just saw on another thread crazyhorsejohnny is selling a 4670!
Old October 22, 2009, 02:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah I meant to say I'd be doing blu-ray, that's what the bitstreaming would be for. And I'm pretty sure I'd go 5850 now after reading up on it. I might go AMD as well, doesn't matter to me as long as I get good performance. Less noise/heat sounds good to me. I'm still not sure if I even want to build a HTPC yet though, I might build a normal i7 system yet.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

I made a gaming pc using the mini itx standard with these specs:

Motherboard: MINIX™ 780G-SP128MB
Processor: AMD X3 720 2.8ghz
Ram: 2x2gb Corsair SODIMM
Hard drive: 320gb 7200rpm Hitachi
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG05B w/300w PS
Graphics Card: ATI 4850 512mb

This motherboard allows for overclocking however the manufacturer of the Minix mobo J&W suggests that it would be unstable with anything more than a dual core as the board is designed for lower TDP processors.

This build works great with playback of mkv 1080p. Lately I've noticed its hard to find this motherboard, its not even on NCIX anymore.

Here are some pics: