Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Questions for HTPC gurus....

(Editing for clarity!)

I couldn't find a HTPC section to our forum so I put it here. If I'm wrong then please move it.

I have a POS HTPC now, but I want to step it up a notch, I want to game and possibly fold on it, and be able to play Blu-ray discs

I was considering something like a P5Q-EM motherboard as it can do Blu-ray with audio over HDMI with little to no issues.... however...

It won't fold...

and it won't game...

I plan to emulate Wii and play other games on my HTPC.

It seems like I'm going to end up using an Nvidia video card, I guess. I would use ATI, and maybe actually prefer it as it would give me an excuse to NOT fold on the damn thing and actually leave it to be a nice quiet HTPC box, not a noisy, squealing, hot folding machine.

Anyway, I'd like to have 7.1 or 7.2 (whatever the cool people use these days) audio passed over HDMI into my reciever (which I don't have yet) or directly into my TV (which I will do for now)

I see my GTX260 has a cable for SPDIF into the Nvidia video card, will this pass 7.1 audio fine? What output do I use? Is a DVI to HDMI converter fine with this setup? Will it pass the audio or will the converter have to be a special one?

Basically I've not done any sort of audio over HDMI whatsoever and I actually think some of you know what the hell you're talking about

I'm not being lazy, I've already googled but most people are fine with integrated video.

Oh, and I have an Antec Fusion Max case, so it'll hold an ATX motherboard and have a good PSU if I want...

Last edited by Perineum; October 1, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm currently building one with that exact mobo I have taken out of my gaming rig since I did not get any decent offers.

I'll drop a cheap dual core(already found) and take it from there. It has a HDMI out already, if it works good without lag i'll be happy, if it does not, i'll just overclock it a little or drop a spare 4850 I have here. I dont know how it will go yet, for me it'll be 99% to playback 720p/1080p movies/tv shows i'll have picked-up.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post

Anyway, I'd like to have 7.1 or 7.2 (whatever the cool people use these days) audio passed over HDMI into my reciever (which I don't have yet) or directly into my TV (which I will do for now)

I see my GTX260 has a cable for SPDIF into the Nvidia video card, will this pass 7.1 audio fine? What output do I use? Is a DVI to HDMI converter fine with this setup? Will it pass the audio or will the converter have to be a special one?

Basically I've not done any sort of audio over HDMI whatsoever and I actually think some of you know what the hell you're talking about
Yes it does work, seeing as i've tried it myself when i first got my card. The little DVI - HDMI converter it comes along with.
Old September 28, 2009, 11:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info. I'm building a cheap HTPC and was wondering about the audio through a DVI-HDMI converter.
I using a spare 9600GT (with the S/PDIF cable). I'm going to finish the build tonight and try it (hopefully).
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old September 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
.... however...

It won't fold...

and it won't game...
Then we're NOT HELPING YOU! :rtfm:
Old September 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Then we're NOT HELPING YOU! :rtfm:
I think you misunderstood...

The reason I didn't want to use the P5Q-EM is because it won't fold, or game. I've read enough reviews, etc to know that it would do what I want except for those 2 things.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So uh.... nada? No one has input on their HTPC?
Old September 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have an xfx 4350 and it will put 7.1 sound through hdmi cables. I do not have it hooked up to my surround sound, because i don't have a reciever yet; however, I know that it will because i read reviews on it before i bought it. I have never had a problem watching movies or playing the n64 emulator on it.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, thanks for the information..... anyone done the exact same thing with a GTX260 or at least heard of anyone doing it?
Old September 30, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bit of a waste if you're using a 260 to output video and not game or fold..even a cheap card can pull htpc duty