Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71 (permalink)  
Old July 3, 2010, 09:40 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,978

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
What's the benefit of MKV over say other video 'formats'?
As a container its options far exceed everything else. Chapters, multiple video/audio tracks, supports nearly every audio/video codec out there. I don't think there will be any benefits to converting your AVI's to MKV though. I am sure there are AVI joiners out there to make all your movies in to a single file.
Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old July 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,589

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
As a container its options far exceed everything else. Chapters, multiple video/audio tracks, supports nearly every audio/video codec out there. I don't think there will be any benefits to converting your AVI's to MKV though. I am sure there are AVI joiners out there to make all your movies in to a single file.
Though typically i have subtitles for all of my movies, only use them some of the times, does xbmc find them if they are named the same in the same folder or best to mkv them together?
Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old July 3, 2010, 10:06 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,978

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Though typically i have subtitles for all of my movies, only use them some of the times, does xbmc find them if they are named the same in the same folder or best to mkv them together?
AFAIK as long as they are named the same and in the same folder it should work. Although once again I am not speaking from experience.
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old July 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,978

My System Specs

Default

MPC-HC (Home Media Classic - Home Cinema)
In this guide I will show how to use MPC-HC for proper bitstreaming, flac, and h.264 DXVA.

applications needed:
Haali Media Splitter Version 20.05.2010 or better.
MadFlac
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
ffdshow tryouts
First off go ahead and install MPC-HC, Haali, and ffdshow. Copy the macflac folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\madFlac\ then run the install.bat. When installing ffdshow unclick all choices when you are selecting what formats to use ffdshow for.
After ffdshow is installed. Open up the Audio decoder configuration. Under Codecs select libavcodec for AC3, E-AC3, True HD, and DTS. Then under Output make sure everything under pass-through is checked. Then press OK.



Now go ahead and open up MPC-HC. Then press 'O' for options. Under Playback, Output make sure that Directshow Video is set to EVR Custom Res.** and Audio Renderer is 1:System Default.

Then under Internet Filters you want to deselect the following.

Now Click on External Filters. Click Add Filter. Add madFlac Decoder. Now do the same thing for ffdshow Audio Decoder & Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder

Next set both madFlac Decoder & ffdshow Audio Decoder to Prefer while set Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder to Block. Press OK.


Now as long as you have everything hooked up properly as well as have the current Intel, ATI, or Xonar drivers installed all should go well. Go ahead and try playing a TrueHD or DTS Master soundtrack. If you get sound, great. Take a look at your receiver and make sure it is receiving the current source.
It should look something like this.
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old July 4, 2010, 09:15 AM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,367

My System Specs

Default

Nice Guides , I really like the looks of XBMC the only reason why I don't use it on my PC is because I am having problems with my TVtuner cards remote working with it.
Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)  
Old July 4, 2010, 11:09 AM
Andy's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Taichung / Toronto
Posts: 657

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Dumb question, do you know of any programs that will let me rename my movies files to this proper standard, i found one that did it for my tv shows but that same program doesnt work properly with my movies that are either 1 continuous file or two files (aka cd1/cd2 i like having 480p BDRips and a lot of these are 2 'discs' or 3)
For file renaming and content management I use Ember media manager for my movies, it scrapes from IMDB, and various other sources. You can pick and choose your fanart, posters, and all the imdb info. It does a great job of finding high quality images for the fanart. You can manage all your blue ray rips, and even set it to automatically update your XBMC setup, with any new movies. They are supposed to be adding TV support, but nothing as of yet.

For renaming TV shows to the proper format I use a program called TVRename. It's similar to Ember, as it allows you to add all the season and episode info to nfo files, all of which work with XBMC. And being able to batch rename everything saves so much time. It also compares your files to the actual episode/season info, and will tell you if you are missing episodes, or if they do not follow the proper aired order.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I have no idea actually. I renamed everyone of mine manually. And none of my movies are more than one part as I used mkvmerge to create just a single mkv.
Mkvmerge is great, I've used it to split up two part tv shows so they display properly according to the actual episode air dates etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Nice Guides , I really like the looks of XBMC the only reason why I don't use it on my PC is because I am having problems with my TVtuner cards remote working with it.
I've never been able to get TV tuner cards working properly with XBMC, or it becomes too much of a pain to deal with. Some features work but others do not.

That is really my only complaint with XBMC, is that it over complicates every process. Sometimes too much customization is a bad thing.
__________________
SAGER 5165 - Matte Screen (1920x1080) - i7-2630QM - nVidia 555M - 8Gb DDR3 - 120Gb Corsair Force GT SSD - 500Gb Momentus XT - Intel® 6300

Last edited by Andy; July 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)  
Old July 4, 2010, 01:16 PM
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 367

My System Specs

Default

Seriously, nice guides, but it kinda "scare me" of getting my blu ray drive to rip and try to get my blu rays on my HTPC/Server... such a PITA -.-.

I'dd like to simply cut off all the menus and unwanted features, keep the video and audio tracks (english/french) and don't have any hassle to read 'em with XBMC on an ubuntu HTPC... so I can have the file server and htpc in the same box. is that possible?
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old July 4, 2010, 01:25 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,978

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
Seriously, nice guides, but it kinda "scare me" of getting my blu ray drive to rip and try to get my blu rays on my HTPC/Server... such a PITA -.-.

I'dd like to simply cut off all the menus and unwanted features, keep the video and audio tracks (english/french) and don't have any hassle to read 'em with XBMC on an ubuntu HTPC... so I can have the file server and htpc in the same box. is that possible?
There is a program called MakeMKV but I have no idea how to use it. I believe there is a lot less control w/ it though. I still don't think it will work w/ ubuntu though unless you use the 'core' audio only.
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old July 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 367

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
There is a program called MakeMKV but I have no idea how to use it. I believe there is a lot less control w/ it though. I still don't think it will work w/ ubuntu though unless you use the 'core' audio only.
hey thanks for the link! It's awesome, both ubuntu and win version available!
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old July 4, 2010, 07:11 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,978

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

For renaming TV shows to the proper format I use a program called TVRename. It's similar to Ember, as it allows you to add all the season and episode info to nfo files, all of which work with XBMC. And being able to batch rename everything saves so much time. It also compares your files to the actual episode/season info, and will tell you if you are missing episodes, or if they do not follow the proper aired order.
I've thought about using this in the past but the fact that it doesn't have an automated scan through me off. Well I decided to go ahead and use it to create NFOs and thumbs for all my shows. After a few hours it is done and I am glad I have. Now I can never have to worry about losing all my XBMC library settings.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XBMC in all its beauty. lowfat HTPC Systems & Software 27 September 18, 2009 05:22 PM
Some blurays are choppy... biff HTPC Systems & Software 8 September 5, 2009 08:03 PM
Looking for software recomendations for DVD ripping Cowinacape O/S's, Drivers & General Software 4 November 24, 2008 09:14 PM
Best DVD Burning/Ripping Software? bojangles O/S's, Drivers & General Software 3 October 11, 2008 10:43 AM
HTPC Software/Codecs Thunderbirt HTPC Systems & Software 10 January 24, 2008 05:35 PM