Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2010, 05:33 PM

My System Specs

CREATING A COPY (old version):
First off this method works best if you have at least two hard drives to work w/ (not a RAID of them either). It it possible do to it w/ one but it will be considerably slower. This is the method I used because I did nearly 100 movies and wanted them done as fast as possible. The benefits of making copies are: obviously protecting the actual optical disc, being able to play the hd audio tracks without the use of very expensive HDMI cards, and being able to keep a nice neat movie library.

Applications needed:
AnyDVD. It isn't free, actually it is kind of expensive, but very much worth it. It is pretty comparable in price to Arcsoft TMT (bluray playback software). However it is going to eliminate so many issues w/ bluray playback on a PC.
mkvmerge . Free.
eac3to. Free.
Arcsoft TMT. Trial works fine, as we don't ever have to run the program, just need the use its its DTS decoders. Installation instructions since we need to run an older version of this software.

Now the first thing to do is to rip the BD to your HDD. This isn't completely necessary, but if you are doing a lot of movies this can save a lot of time. At the bottom of this guide I list on how do skip this step. Have AnyDVD open. Right click it in taskbar, then 'Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk'.

Select your destination and press copy. Will take around an hour to do for most movies.

After it is done, you can close the AnyDVD window. Then open yr_eac3to_more_gui.exe which is found in the eac3to folder. It may require you to install a few other programs. I am not sure since I already have it installed.

On the main window you want to make sure you select your output folder destination. I would highly suggest setting this to your 2nd HDD if you have one. Then drag the copied folder than anyDVD created in to the big white box in the left.

Now click the 'eac3to Audio' tab. Now here in the top right area of the window you need to select the input folder. So click the drop box and select your BD here. The windows will minimize for a few seconds while eac3to analyzes the BD.

Now a little window will pop up listing the contents of the BD. Usually 1 is the main feature. Unless you are copying a TV series. Then there will be a number for each episode.

Now under the Title Set: (top left of main window). Click the drop box and select the number(container) you want (usually 1 like I said above). Windows will minimize for a few seconds while eac3to analyzes. Now look in the little eac3to window. It will display all the tracks inside the container(s) you have selected. If you want the highest quality tracks then look for the number of the PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD track. They are bigger in size, but audio is one of the reasons why I buy BD. If you want to save a few hundred MB then select the AC3/E-AC3 Track w/ the highest bitrate. Chances are that will be the correct one. The rest of the tracks listed will be different languages or commentaries. Now back to the main eac3to window, under Track: enter the audio track number that you want. Then enter a filename, and select a file extension from the drop down box. If you selected either of the PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD tracks, you'll want to use flac, as it is a lossless codec.

Now look at the bottom of the window where it shows the command line info. Make sure you see the file extension here. If it doesn't have one, then click in an empty field anywhere in the main window. Then click add to batch listing. If you happen to want more than one audio stream (like a commentary, etc) in your ripped BD, you can do so. Just do the same thing with the other audio streams you want.

Now click the 'eac3to Video' tab, and do the exact same things you did for the audio, except you want to pick the VC-1/AVC/H.264/MPEG video stream. You want to use an .mkv for the file extension. Then click add to batch listing.

Now click the 'Batch Processing' tab. Then click 'Run Batch Listing'.

Now this is where having 2 drives comes in handy. It will take way less time to complete. On my i7 system it takes ~ 5 - 10 minutes to do it w/ 2 RAID0 arrays. On a single drive it will take up to 30 minutes from what I've found. The command prompt window will pop up,then do its converting thing for audio, then close. Then it will reopen another window for video. Once it is complete, the command prompt window will disappear and the eac3to will come back up. You are now done w/ this program.

Now open up mkvmerge. Drag the flac/mkv files you just created from Windows Explorer to the mkvmerge window. Now this next step isn't needed for single audio track. But I do it to make things 'cleaner'. Enter a name for the audio track. I personally enter what the source track was. You could also enter 'Main Feature'. Also select the language. You can see why this is needed w/ multiple audio tracks so you know which one to select when watching the movie. Now enter the 'Output Filename:'. Once again if you have two hard drives I highly suggest selecting the the other HDD. Now press 'Start Muxing.'

After this the video is ready for playback. Which I will do a writeup when I have time. I'll also try to make a DVD ripping one.

You can completely skip the first step of copying the BD to your HDD, but it will make things take up to twice as long. All you need to do is have AnyDVD running, then drag the Bluray drive to the eac3to. Eac3to can do all the converting right from the drive. But this can take a couple of hours to do. Doing it the method above allows multitasking. As you could also start copying another movie to the HDD when you are muxing/demuxing the first movie.

Last edited by lowfat; July 3, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:56 PM

My System Specs

Streamlined, bitstreaming, multi audio track ripping guide.

This way should be quicker, take less steps. This version it for systems capable of bitstreaming. For those who don't know what bitstreaming it; it is outputting straight uncompressed audio over HDMI to your receiver. In the forms of Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master, or uncompressed PCM. If you planning on using analog sound or don't have a bistreaming capable soundcard/receiver, you will want to use the guide above for ripping the audio to FLAC. This version will also include on how to do multiple audio tracks (i.e. commentaries).

Applications needed:
AnyDVD. It isn't free, actually it is kind of expensive, but very much worth it. It is pretty comparable in price to Arcsoft TMT (bluray playback software). However it is going to eliminate so many issues w/ bluray playback on a PC.
mkvmerge . Free.
eac3to. Free.
eac3to and More GUI - There is a version included with eac3to, however I find it unbarely hard to use(maybe because it is too easy )
Arcsoft TMT. Trial works fine, as we don't ever have to run the program, just need the use its its DTS decoders. Installation instructions since we need to run an older version of this software.
BDSup2Sub - used to rip subtitles and convert them to a usable format.

With this version there is no need to copy the movie to your HDD first as it really won't be all that faster. So open up eac3to. You want to make sure that the Path: Ea3to and the Destination Folder areas are correct.

Then drag and drop your bluray from My Computer in to the Sources in eac3to.

Click on the ea3to Audio tab. Then in Input File(s) or Folder drop down, select the source folder listed. There should only be one choice. Both Ea3to windows will minimize and a command window will pop up for a few seconds. Once it finishes scanning the bluray disc, the eac3to GUI windows will pop up again.
In the little Track Listings Window it now lists all the tracks on the bluray disc. Usually number 1 is the main movie. The rest will be extra features, etc. However in my case it is #2 (silly Disney put #1 as a version w/ French video).

Even the track listing (again usually #1) in to the Title Set in the main ea3to window.

eac3to will minimize for a few seconds while it scans. Now again look to the Track Listings Window. Here it will list all the tracks to the section of the bluray disc we plan on ripping. Since we are in the audio section you are looking for the audio tracks. In my case #4 is going to be the main audio track and #6 is the commentary. If there is a bunch of English audio tracks you may need to rip them all, then give each a quick listen in order to find which is the commentary you want. That is if you want commentaries at all.

Now enter the main audio track number (in my case #4)in the Track section of the main eac3to window. Then enter the name of the audio track. I just do [name of movie][audio track type]. Then select Save As Type. If the audio track is DTS-Master select dtsma. If it is a Dolby True HD then select thd. If it is AC3 select ac3. In the rare occasion that your movie has an E-AC3 audio track AND it has a bitrate higher than 640kbps then use eac3, if under 640kbps then just select ac3. Then at the bottom click Lock Current Settings To Command Line.

If you don't want the commentary added skip this next step. If you plan on ripping multiple audio tracks you would now fill in the secondary audio track under Track, enter in a File Name, and Save As Type once again. Then press Lock Current Settings To Command Line again.

Now we are done with the audio section. Click on Eac3to Video tab. Refer to the Track Listings window and locate the video tracks, subtitles, and chapter tracks.

Enter the video track number (in my case #2) to the Track section of main ea3to window. Then once again fill out a File Name and Save As Type. Save as Type should be mkv. Under Chapter Tracks, select the chapters track. Then under Subtitles Track, select the English subtitle track. Then give it a name, then tab out of the space.Hit Lock Current Settings To Command Line.

The subtitle track is not needed for some movies. But almost any movie that has other languages besides English spoken in it will. If you have a movie like this you may need to rip all the subtitle tracks in order to get the one that will have subtitles for ONLY the non-English. You do this the same way we did multiple audio tracks. Select the Subtitle Track, give it a name, tab out. Then press Lock Current Settings To Command Line. Do this for every English subtitle track.

Now hit Run Command Line (Tab Specific). Eac3to will now rip the tracks we have selected from the bluray disc.This may take from 30 minutes to half an hour depending on how large the bluray movie is. After this is done you can close eac3to.

You can skip the following section if you don't have any subtitles. Open up BDSup2Sub. Click File, Open. Then select the .Sup subtitle track you ripped. Click Ok. Click the lower right section.

Here you can go through all the subtitles and check if this is the one you want. The arrows at the top let you go through frame. If you want non-English subtitles only there should be only a few dozen frames in most cases. Subtitles for full movies will be 500-1500. Press Bottom because who really wants the subtitles at the top of the screen. Click OK, then File, Save/Export. Then give your subtitles a name. Then Ok. Then you can close DBSup2Sub.

Next open up mkvmerge. Next drag and drop your mkv, audio files, and IDX subtitle file in to the mkvmerge GUI window.

If you have multiple audio tracks you will need to give the tracks names to differentiate them. As well we need to set the default track. You could always name the video track but it isn't necessary. You may also want to add a language to the subtitle track.

Now click the Global tab. Then under Chapters, click Browse. Select the chapters.txt that eac3to created. Select the language. Now At the bottom select Browse under Output File Name. Name your movie. If you plan on using XBMC I highly suggest you add bluray and the audio type to the file name like I have. I will explain this under the XBMC section later on.

And we are done. You should now have a fully lossless bluray rip.

Last edited by lowfat; July 3, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old July 3, 2010, 07:15 PM

My System Specs

PLAYBACK. This is the old version to be used w/ FLAC audio soundtracks.

applications needed:
AC3Filter
Haali Media Splitter
MadFlac
Reclock

Not only will these 3 applications/codecs allow for BD playback, but will allow for about 95% of all media out there. First go ahead and install AC3Filter. You can just click continue for everything during the installation. Install everything normally here. AC3filter requires no customization. AC3Filter will be used for all non FLAC audio.

Now you can go ahead and install Haali Media Splitter. Use all the default installation settings. MadFlac doesn't really install. All you have to do is copy it somewhere on your HDD (I suggest Program Files), then run the 'install.bat'. Reboot the system and you should now be good to go.

Reclock is going to allow DirectShow players to take control of the audio in Windows. As far as a I know only Vista/7 require this. But as I don't use XP I can not confirm this. It is easy to install, and the first time you run a DirectShow player after installing it will ask you if you want to use Reclock w/ it. Select Always. Now Reclock is only required if you are using a 7.1 setup. Otherwise you can just go in to the madflac filter properties and select 5.1 only.

Any DirectShow software will be able to play your BDs back now. Meaning Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, etc. Windows Media Center should be able to as well, but only on 32-bit OS's.

Another alternative to using the codecs I mentioned above is to just use Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC). It supports DXVA w/ h.264 as well as almost all audio formats. I would still however install madflac and use that as the primary codec for audio. The following shows how to make sure that MPC-HC uses the madflac codec for flac.

First open up MPC-HC. Then click O for options. 'Click on External Filters' on the left hand column then 'Add Filter.' Then add the 'madFlac Decoder.' Then back in the options page click on Internal Filters on the left hand column. Then make sure you deselect flac from both the 'Source Filters' and 'Transform Filters colums.' Now MPC-HC will handle all codecs besides FLAC. So you don't need to install any codecs besides madFlac.

Old July 3, 2010, 07:19 PM

My System Specs

ENCODING: NOTE: You won't be able to encode if you are using a lossless audio track like TrueHD.

Applications Needed:
AVIsynth
Ripbot264

Sometimes movies come w/ excessively high bitrate or they are encoded w/ a poor MPEG-2 codec. In these cases you may want to re-encode them to save some HDD space. I've tried dozens of different encoders out there, and for blurays, Ripbot264 is the easiest to use. So once the above applications are installed, open up RipBot264. It should look like this. Click the add button in the lower right hand corner to get started.

Click the button next to the 'Video' field and select the demuxed video track from the bluray. Then press the button next the the 'Audio' field and select the audio track.

Now press the button next to 'Profile'. This is where we select the x264 settings.

This is an example of the settings I use. If you use the following you can't go wrong if you are looking for quality. But it will take a long time to encode. Press 'OK' when you have the settings picked.

Next from the 'Mode' box select 2-Pass, then close the bitrate desired. I choose 8192 for this movie as it its quality wasn't the greatest anyways. I really wouldn't go below 12-14Mbps normally for a 1080p BD rip.

Now make sure that you have '.mkv' selected,the subtitles track if you are using any, and the destination where you would like the completed rip saved. After you have done these you can then press the 'Properties' box next to the bitrate box.

All there is to do is here, is to crop off the black bars. So far re-encoding a video is the only way I have found to do this. Under 'Crop' slect Automatically. Press 'OK' when done.

Now we are done. Press 'Done.'
Then press 'Start'

NOTE: You definitely want a quad core for this and preferably even an i7. My Q8200 takes about 2 days for a movie to complete. My Core i7 @ 4.2GHz was about 16 hours.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:04 PM

My System Specs

lowfat's advanced XBMC setup guide
First off some teaser pictures on how it can look like after you are setup.
Home

Movies

TV shows

Now I am going to tackle XBMC. This isn't just for bluray playback. But for all playback and usage. This is also for Windows. I know that OSX is nearly the same except for the use of an external player.
I would suggest downloading the newest unoffical SVN from here
Unofficial XBMC Download for Nightly Build of 31591 from SVN
There is a lot of enhancements that the SVN has over the stable release.

First off make sure all your movies are spelled correctly. They have the year in the name as well as the source (i.e. Battlestar Galactica (2003).bluray.mkv. or Battlestar Galactica (2003).bluray.truehd.mkv if you used my bluray ripping guide). TV shows need to be in folders w/ proper name (i.e. 24\Season 7\S7E01.bluray.mkv or 24\Season 7\24 7x01.mkv).
So install it. Then launch it. Then select Videos.

Then Add Source. Here locate your Movies folder. Then press Set Content.

Under This Directory Contains select Movies. Then select TheMovieDB if it isn't already. Select Run automated scan, and Scan recursively. Then press Settings.

Make sure that fan art is selected. You can also select the resolution for trailers if you so desire. Then press OK. Then OK. It should now start scanning. You should see a status area near the top of the screen. This may take a few hours depending on your movie library size.

After it is done we are going to add a source for TV shows. Obviously skip this if you don't use it for TV.
Do the same as we did above, just select your TV shows directory, then press Set Content. Under This Directory Contains make sure you select TV shows. Then choose The TVDB scrapper. Click Run automated scan. Then Settings.

I use DVD Order but I think it may have got me in to some trouble. I may suggest you try Absolute Ordering. Press OK. Then OK. Once again this may take a few hours. You can exit back to the main screen.

Now go in to your movies folder. Click your left arrow to bring up the side menu. Here we can select a better view. Find one you like. Right arrow exists the side menu.

Highlight a movie then press 'C'. This brings up all the options for that movie. Here you can rename the title, link the movie to a specific TV show, change artwork, etc. What we want to do is go in to movie information. You can also do this quicker by highlighting the movie and just pressing 'I'.

Here we can get different movie posters and artwork. Click Get Fanart. If you don't like the default background artwork you can download a different one here. Select the one you want. Then press ok. Now exit out of here. Getting a new poster is the same way, just click Get thumb instead.

Now in some cases XBMC will grab the wrong movie information. Most of the time this is caused by not having the year in the movie file name. But sometimes it is just wrong. In those cases we highlight the movie that has the wrong information. Press 'I' to bring up the information screen. Then press Refresh. Select the proper movie, then press the enter key.

That is pretty much it for XBMC basics. Next up we'll tackle skinning. So go ahead and close XBMC.

For this we are going to use my favourite skin. Transparency! I like it because it isn't bloated like Aeon and other skins. You can grab it here.
Unofficial XBMC Download for Nightly Build of 31591 from SVN
Since we are using a newer SVN of XBMC we don't have a lot of choices on what skins we can use at the moment. If you do not like Transparency!, MiniMeedia.Waffa!, or Aeon you will have to download the regular stable release of XBMC instead. So go ahead and extract the rar to the C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\Addons\ folder. After that is done go back in to XBMC.

Select Settings, Then Appearance. Then Skin. Then Skin.

Here Select Transparency!

Now we have our first look at Transparency!

Press the escape key to exit out of here. From here either left arrow over to the side menu or use your mouse and move your cursor to the left hand side of the screen to bring up the menu. Then select Skin Options.

There isn't much to do in the first screen here. I checked Wide side menu buttons. Although I am not exactly sure how it chances things.

under Home Window you can disable everything you don't want on the home screen of XBMC. I myself get rid of everything except for Movies, TV Shows, and Settings.

Under backgrounds you want to enable Fanart for both Home - Movies and Home - TV shows

I forgot about a few important settings. under Settings, Videos. You want to check Update library on startup.

Then under Settings, System, Audio. Make sure you select the correct options for your system.

Next up is using an external player. Now this is only needed for 2 reasons.
1. You have an ATI videocard and you want DXVA.
2. You are using FLAC, TrueHD, DTS Master audio tracks. XBMC will not handle these properly.
So if XBMC is running quit it now.
Go to your XBMC AppData folder (C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata for Windows 7 users). Open up notepad and create a file here called playercorefactory.xml.
Inside you want it to look like
PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <
players>
   <
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <
filename>C:Program Files (x86)MPC HomeCinemampc-hc.exe</filename>
     <
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <
hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <
hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <
warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </
player>
 </
players>
 <
rules action="prepend">
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*flac.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*truehd.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*dtsma.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
 </
rules>
</
playercorefactory
The way I have this setup is that all videos that have either flac, truehd, or dtsma in the filename, XBMC is going to launch MPC-HC to play these videos. Now if you wanted just to use MPC-HC for h.264 acceleration you would want something like the following.
PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <
players>
   <
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <
filename>C:Program Files (x86)MPC HomeCinemampc-hc.exe</filename>
     <
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <
hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <
hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <
warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </
player>
 </
players>
 <
rules action="prepend">
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*720p.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*1080p.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
 </
rules>
</
playercorefactory
Now this is of course you have MPC-HC setup correctly as well. Which I will tackle shortly.

This is about it for XBMC. A few keyboard shortcuts.
'Shift' + a letter key quickly brings up movies/shows that start w/ that letter. Keep pressing 'Shift' + the letter to cycle through them.
'C' is the options menu
'I' is the movie/show information menu
'S' brings up the shutdown menu.

While a movie/show is playing:

'X' exits the show/movie.
'Tab' While a movie/show is playing press tab to bring up the XBMC menu. 'Tab' will bring you back to the show.
'T' toggles subtitles.
'I' brings up the movie/show information as well as progress.

You can edit all these values @ C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml

Last edited by lowfat; July 4, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Dumb question, do you know of any programs that will let me rename my movies files to this proper standard, i found one that did it for my tv shows but that same program doesnt work properly with my movies that are either 1 continuous file or two files (aka cd1/cd2 i like having 480p BDRips and a lot of these are 2 'discs' or 3)
Old July 3, 2010, 09:12 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Dumb question, do you know of any programs that will let me rename my movies files to this proper standard, i found one that did it for my tv shows but that same program doesnt work properly with my movies that are either 1 continuous file or two files (aka cd1/cd2 i like having 480p BDRips and a lot of these are 2 'discs' or 3)
I have no idea actually. I renamed everyone of mine manually. And none of my movies are more than one part as I used mkvmerge to create just a single mkv.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I have no idea actually. I renamed everyone of mine manually. And none of my movies are more than one part as I used mkvmerge to create just a single mkv.
Should i potentially do the same, convert them from xvid/avi to mkv into a single file and rename them accordingly that way?

I'm looking for files around 1.5GB per movie as well i dont notice a difference in 720p or 1080p. IF this is too much off topic i'll stop posting in here and make a thread of my own
Old July 3, 2010, 09:32 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Should i potentially do the same, convert them from xvid/avi to mkv into a single file and rename them accordingly that way?

I'm looking for files around 1.5GB per movie as well i dont notice a difference in 720p or 1080p. IF this is too much off topic i'll stop posting in here and make a thread of my own
Converting from AVI to MKV is not something I am sure on as I've never done it myself.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Converting from AVI to MKV is not something I am sure on as I've never done it myself.
What's the benefit of MKV over say other video 'formats'?