Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2011, 07:42 PM

My System Specs

I use XMBC Commander as a remote app and it seriously rocks. But it is for iOS.

Bitstreaming doesn't apply to me at the moment since I am using analog for sound.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wow you are right. It is amazing!!! I just installed it on my iPod Touch. The iPad version looks even better, but I can't justify it as it would basically be a $500 remote control.

Now I have to organize my music so that XBMC can pick it all up. This type of interface is exactly what I needed, a way to queue up music without turning on the TV.

Next step: Figure out how to get WOL working on my computer. I have it connected using a USB Wifi stick (Linksys AE2500) but it doesn't seem to support Wireless WOL. Time to find me a good N bridge.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Zoob, wireless isn't recommended if you plan on streaming 1080p stuff, unless you are running wireless N and have full bars, you're going to run into latency stutter.

I myself have slightly shifted away from the norm for HTPC. Right now I'm using the PIVOS AIOS, which sadly does not run xbmc even though I'd love it to. For TV maintenance I am using SickBeard, and for Movies Couch Potato.
Old December 7, 2011, 06:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I get about 10MB/sec for sequential transfers which is good enough for high bitrate MKV files for my current setup. The link connects at about 160-170 Mbps on 5GHz. The AE2500 connects to my E4200.

The PIVOS is a great unit however for accessing data over the network the interface is pretty terrible. From what I've seen it only allows library mode for files stored locally on the unit (or hooked up through USB).
On top of that, using the hardwire or Wifi-N (the bundle stick) resulted in a stuttery playback of high bitrate mkvs (Avatar and Dark Knight are my two test cases). It's as if the CPU cannot handle network load and playback at the same time. I lent the unit to my friend and he said the same movies playback fine over USB.
Old December 7, 2011, 06:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That is my one gripe, that it won't allow you to see files stored in library mode on the unit. Supposedly they'll offer it later on. I've never had any issues streaming network to this thing, and I watch my movies and such in 1080p. Mind you I'm also running on a gigabit network, which you may have been running on a 10/100, which would cause 1080p stuff to stutter still. Can't say about wireless with it as I'm a true believer of hard wired.

If you're getting 10 MB/s then it sounds like you're set, I've however normally heard of people getting much less on wireless N due to signal strength and distance.