Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2009, 09:09 AM
Allstar

The Silverstone Lascala Lc 17b takes either atx or matx mobo's. I have one and really like it. Doesn't look like a a pc case on it's side...looks like it belongs in a home theatre setup. Most people don't notice that it's a pc. It periodically goes on sale for around $120 or less.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old September 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry D View Post
@clone63: I understand what you (and others) are saying about the ph2 550, but $30-$50 isn't really a huge deal to me considering the (slightly better) longevity, the heat may be though. I'll try to find some numbers. Most cases I've been looking at do support full ATX boards, I've actually got a desktop already but I want something that will actually look decent in my entertainment unit. If I'm able to find the case I want I'll likely not worry about the 8 sata so much.
Just my 2cents, and with the 550 at least you could whip out a light gaming rig if wanted/had to. 30-50$ is considerable for me! lol. Let us know what case you go with
Old September 20, 2009, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect

Well, I appreciate the advice Clone63! And from the rest of you too! I've been mulling this project over in my head for the last few years and have finally decided to pull it off now that the basement is underway. (Monument to my geekery room is going down there... also an office). I had actually planned to do some very light gaming with this system (likely nothing newer than 2002, not that any current processor couldn't handle that). To be honest this project won't likely get off the ground until late November or early December because I've got other welding and building projects on the go once harvest is done.

cdn_Marrach, what is the construction of the DVD faceplates? Are they aluminum or steel? Also, how does that style work with bluray drives (I've read some style covers, mostly flip down, can have issues with bluray for some reason)? I've found a dealer in Canada that has a Lian-Li pc-32S for sale but they're asking a bit of a premium over the black model so now I'm torn. I'm leaning towards the all aluminum and more options presented by lian-li but the silverstone does look nice.
Old September 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
Allstar

Really not sure which metal it is but it's exactly same as the rest of the front of the case and it just sticks to the face of the dvd/bd player via two sided sticky pad. I was a little skeptical of how well this would hold or look for that matter but it holds and looks great imo.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old September 21, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i wonder if it's possible to double the ram to say 8GB and do a network boot for the htpc.

Old September 22, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry D View Post
CPU Cooler:
go with stock (I'm not much of an overclocker) or go with something fancy and passive, help me decide.
I used a mini ninja on my e3110 in my HTPC and use it passive. I have the same sort of cooler, only much smaller, on my NB but I can't remeber who made it... noctua maybe. Any way that NB cooler has a 60mm running at a reduced speed and that combined with the psu sucking air out on the other side of the CPU heatsink keeps it cool enough.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water