Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Stream to a .... what? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/23125-stream-what.html)

CMetaphor September 15, 2009 09:34 AM

Stream to a .... what?

Hi all, just wondering what your suggestions would be for an all-in-one media streamer box (to receive a stream from a PC) that could work in the same way my PS3 Media Server + PS3 do? A friend of mine would like to find a cheap solution to watch movies/tv/anime (divx/xvid and mkv, possibly some high-def stuff) which are being streamed from his PC (decent-enough 775 system). Any suggestions?
I've only ever used my PS3 to do this but he doesn't want something "power-hungry" like that. Admittedly, his AV cabinet has almost no air, so a console would just get too hot in there.

Im looking at something like this:
NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital WD TV WDTV HD Media Player HDMI USB 2.0 Composite A/V SPDIF Out MKV H.264 Xvid - WDAVN00BN In Canada.
BUT I dont know which program could stream to it, DivX Connected possibly? TVersity (bleh, never liked it)? A PS3 Media Server alternate perhaps? Thanks for you ideas guys.

EDIT:
Nevermind the WDTV... looks like it can only play local content... nothing over the network AFAIK.

snoosebum September 15, 2009 09:44 AM

I think you can put a wireless n USB dongle on it (add 20 bucks), or wired for that matter.

CMetaphor September 15, 2009 09:54 AM

I think the internet connection on the WDTV is only for things like Youtube and such, I don't think (or at least I can't any details about it) it can stream via the network.

Safearus September 15, 2009 09:58 AM

Well, most streaming for things like this I've used VLC... However it's not applicable in all cases I guess.

CMetaphor September 15, 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safearus (Post 255530)
However it's not applicable in all cases I guess.

Especially not in this one :haha:. I dont mind VLC running locally, but it just doesnt hold a candle to a program like ps3 media server in terms of quality/streaming options and ease of use. Anywho, the bigger problem is to find a small box or whatever that can be used INSTEAD of PS3 for cheaper, lol. He doesn't game anyways, so he'd probably go for a fancier streaming box than a ps3, even if the prices were close.

snoosebum September 15, 2009 10:15 AM

I believe with a firmware "upgrade" the WD will play files off a network share. WDTV seems to have quite an active community. I'm kind of interested in this as well but havent seen one in action.
I'm torn between something like this or a popcorn hour. Of course when you see the price of the new popcorn hour you have to ask yourself if you should just build your own HTPC.

CMetaphor September 15, 2009 10:23 AM

Popcorn hours is like $250 just for the mobo isnt it? That's pretty darn expensive. I could go with a budget mATX/ITX build and have cpu/mobo/case for that much, at least. Are there no other all-in-one boxes that could stream divx/mkv's for my friend?

snoosebum September 15, 2009 10:44 AM

Yea, The B-110 (the motherboard option) is around that price.
Theres a new popcorn hour out.... C-200 for 300 USD.
Theres also the a-110 I think it goes for around 250.
Theres a popcorn knockoff in the states called from egreat EG-m34a I think its goes for around 160USD. There is also a whole slew of other options. (Oplay, Dune HD, Playon, Mvix ...)
Of course I think you could probably build something once you are in the $300+ range. Especially if you have a few old parts lying around.
I think the WD is a good choice - I think it can be had for around a 100 bucks, not much to lose there if it doesnt do what you want. Maybe someone here has one and could vouch for it, I'm thinking more ease of use. Sounds like it plays most anything thrown at it.

CMetaphor September 15, 2009 10:51 AM

Im actually looked at DivX connected-compatible players now. It seems as if Divx 7 is out and I completely missed it. For those that don't know, Divx 7 was supposed to support MKV and high-def content. Now, if I can find a divx connected streaming box like the d-link one with an update for Divx7 I could be in business... Does anyone have any palyer like this that can check for me if the Divx7 support has been added? thanks.

CMetaphor September 15, 2009 11:52 AM

Sorry for the double-post, but im also considering trying to build him an ITX machine to do the same thing. I have a couple spare sticks of DDR2 sodimm as well as an old AM2 Proc and an old 775 Cely I was planning on using (but cant anymore for other reasons). So, the next question is:
-Does anyone know an ITX motherboard thats either AM2/775 that uses So-Dimm, is (hopefully) cheap and enough horsepower to stream some 720p?
There seems to be one Jetway @ newegg that meets these criteria, but its also $180 just for a mobo... :sad: