Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Do I need to build a Nas server or can I do this instead

I built a cheap HTPC, using an old case as some spare ram old HD. I am using Media portal which is working great . now I want to have more storage for all of my TVseries and movie files. do I really need to build a separate system so I can sometimes access these tv\movie files from other PCs in my place or can I just customize my HTPC to have access to the files?
this is my setup
Asus M2N68-AM SE2n Rev X.0x
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Cpu Socket Socket AM2 (940)
System Slots 3 PCI
Memory 4 gb ddr2 6400
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Is it possible to just pick up Kingwin KF-4000-BK 4 Bay 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive Hot Swap Mobile Rack W/ Cooling Fans the put some drives into it plug it into my HTPC using a PERc 5/i (read from lowfat's post in here NAS Build )

or would it be better to build a whole NAS system ?
Old September 9, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My HTPC doubles as my network storage unit. I just share my storage drives across the network works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 9, 2009, 12:05 PM

My System Specs

I have 12 HDD's (+ one SSD) in/on my HTPC . 5 Internal. 7 on a DAS. I had zero need for a NAS anymore. Just like Supergrover, I just share the drives. I don't even keep storage HDD's in my main PC.
Old September 9, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I have 12 HDD's (+ one SSD) in/on my HTPC . 5 Internal. 7 on a DAS. I had zero need for a NAS anymore. Just like Supergrover, I just share the drives. I don't even keep storage HDD's in my main PC.
Thats exactly what I want to do, so what is a decent setup because as it is there is no room in my HTPC for any additional hard drives and the MB I am using only has 4 usb ports on the rear of it
Old September 9, 2009, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep that's my plan whenever i actually own a place (be it apartment our house) and have an htpc. Until then i'm stuck with small portal NASs since my room really isn't that big
Old September 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well depending on the amount of speed you need you could look at one of those sans digital e-sata cabinets that ncix has. Not sure on the performance but it sure seems the cheapest way to add alot of storage cheaply.

Old September 9, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess I could just get a HD Cage out of an old case and the look for some long sata connectors
Old September 9, 2009, 07:22 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
well depending on the amount of speed you need you could look at one of those sans digital e-sata cabinets that ncix has. Not sure on the performance but it sure seems the cheapest way to add alot of storage cheaply.
they perform like poo at least w/ the esata card it comes w/. And forget about using onboard esata w/ it as they don't recognize the port multipliers. Mine tops out @ 70MB/s. Even w/ a 5 drive RAID0.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Im also building an HTPC atm, and I was going to make it my storage device also. My question is what kind of backup should I have? I recognize that the backup should be completely independant from the htpc. I currantly have 2 500s and a 1 TB, im thinking, putting the 1 TB in the htpc, and using the 2 500s in the main pc to backup to, would be best? My mobo supports jbod, should I image on to them?

And lowfat how the heck to you backup a raid5 array? Is the DAS hooked directly to the system? Is there any chance that something could take out both, such as a surge?
Old September 10, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question

I had to look up what DAS was, I wished there was some detailed Diagrams or Pictures so I can get a Visual ( Visual learner here ) SO I can get a better Idea. Would I need a card so I could hookup more Drives on the Outside of my Case or what I am pretty lost here