Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2009, 09:23 AM

My System Specs

DAS, Direct Access Storage. Like a NAS but doesn't use ethernet. Hooks up via eSATA, SCSI, SAS, etc.

The one I use is the Sans Digital TR8M-B. Which uses 2 4-port SATA multipliers. They aren't all that compatible though so you almost need to use the eSATA card it comes with. I had tons of issues w/ it on my X58 system which is why it is on my HTPC in the first place.

I have a small UPS that I keep them on in case of power failure so they can shut down properly.

The way I have mine setup is that 3x1.5TB drives are in RAID0 for my TV Shows, music, pictures. Then I have 2x1.5TB for my Movies. They sync to the DAS once a week. Which is a 7-drive 4TB JBOD array.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm it is a little complicated and out of my league :) I am not even sure how to raid heheheheI am totally new to the networking thing but am trying to learn . from what I see basically ( probably very basically) there is a case that holds hard drives that has a PSU to power the HDs , so I could take spare parts I have like AMD motherboard pick up a used AMD cpu like a 3800 x64 with an old dell psu I have laying around and a case which I can mod the inside to fit more hard drives cut the rear exhaust fan on the case big enough to fit one of my extra yates to exhaust the heat . I take it that SAS and scsi are ways to connect directly to the computer which is allot faster?
Then I am going to look for used parts at the local Value Village, you would be surprised what people toss out and can be bought for pretty cheap.
Old September 11, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

a hardware sas raid solution is much more reliable and faster than the onboard solutions. It's also usually a lot more expensive. If you like i have purchased the parts to build my NAS. If you like i can do a build log so you can see.

Old October 23, 2009, 10:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

The way I have mine setup is that 3x1.5TB drives are in RAID0 for my TV Shows, music, pictures. Then I have 2x1.5TB for my Movies. They sync to the DAS once a week. Which is a 7-drive 4TB JBOD array.
Just wondering why its neccesary to have 3 drives in raid 0? Also, if one of the drives in the jbod array fails, do you replaced the drive, then resync the entire jbod array?
Old October 23, 2009, 11:59 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Just wondering why its neccesary to have 3 drives in raid 0? Also, if one of the drives in the jbod array fails, do you replaced the drive, then resync the entire jbod array?
The drive are in RAID0 because I need the speed. Demuxing/Muxing blurays is very HDD intensive and the bandwidth of my arrays is very much needed. If either a drive in the JBOD array or the RAID0 arrays fails yes I would have to resync the whole thing. I may move back to a hardware RAID5 array for the backup once again though. I don't like the fact that if I want to add a drive to the array I have to rebuild it from scratch.