Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2009, 11:03 PM

My System Specs

XBMC kicked the bucket for me today. First it woudn't auto update my library at startup. Then today it wouldn't even manually update my library when i tried. So I install the latest SVN build. And now it won't even launch, gets a Directx problem.
Old September 18, 2009, 06:08 AM
Allstar

@lowfat Do you rip your movies Reg/BD with anydvd? If so....how well does it work? I would like to start and rip all the kids movies very shortly because they find it too hard to put the dvd's back in the cases lol. Of course some are getting pretty scatched.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old September 18, 2009, 07:55 AM

My System Specs

All anyDVD can do it remove the encryption and copy the actual movie to the HDD. But yes I use it. Then I use eac3to to demux and convert the audio streams to flac, then remux them in to an MKV w/ mkvmerge.

w/ DVD's I use PCG Demux to demux the audio/videostreams. Then remux them to an mkv container w/ mkvmerge.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:55 AM
Allstar

Ok you lost me lol. What is remux and demux and why are you converting the audio to flak? I'm fairly new to the whole storing dvd copies on Htpc scene. Mostly just recorded tv. Is Mkv an audio video format and if so what are the benefits. Sorry for the noobish questions lowfat but I'm gonna try and get the kids videos on my home server asap because if caught my 4 year old playing with a BD of tinkerbell in the driveway a few days ago lol.
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old September 18, 2009, 03:20 PM

My System Specs

An MKV, AVI, VOB (container used for DVD), M2TS are containers. Inside that container there are multiple streams. Video, audio, subtitles, attachments, etc. Demux'ing separates all these files from the container. So you'll now have separate files for each stream. Muxing is putting all these files back in to a container. I am about to rip a bluray right now. I'll take a few screenshots and make a little walk through.

Tinkerbell is one expensive BD, my heart would likely skip a few beats if i saw that.
Old September 18, 2009, 04:16 PM
Allstar

tried the skin, mine looks nothing like yours though... like the way my movie list is setup.... I don't get that dvd case like yours, or the info.. Also my list is just centered in the middle of the screen.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old September 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
Allstar

Thanks...i appreciate it lowfat.....and the loss of tinkerbell with three girls under age 9 would be catastrophic lol.
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old September 18, 2009, 05:22 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
tried the skin, mine looks nothing like yours though... like the way my movie list is setup.... I don't get that dvd case like yours, or the info.. Also my list is just centered in the middle of the screen.
once you are in the library, click the left key on your keyboard. That will bring up the view options. Select Fanart. Then it should look like mine.

And I created a BD ripping guide here.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...s-blurays.html