Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default if I take the svid out from pc to svid in HTPC what happens? on Media portal

Just so you know ,I am a total nooby to HTPC and any type of networking. but I was wondering if this could be done or is there a better way to do it?

I have my PC ( regular pc) and I just finished building a simple HTPC ( using Media portal) with a Hauppauge 1600 tv card.
I always download tv episodes ( I really hate commercials also I get more tv shows that way) on to my regular pc ,if I where to take the svideo out and and the out put of my soundcard ( on my regualr pc) and plug them into the svideo and audio in on my tv card would I be able to watch those episodes?
or is there a better way to do this
Old August 10, 2009, 02:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Best option, get network access to your HTPC, and then just share the folder on your PC that has the TV shows in it.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Best option, get network access to your HTPC, and then just share the folder on your PC that has the TV shows in it.
ok how do I do that ?
Old August 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Right click on the folder on your PC, Sharing and Security, then follow through with whatever is there to share the folder.

Then over to your HTPC, My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive. Then type the path to your PC in the form of \\PCName\FolderName.

Finally open up the MediaPortal Config and add that network drive as a folder/source for the Video section.

(All going by memory here and for XP, so I might be a bit off with things)
Old August 10, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Right click on the folder on your PC, Sharing and Security, then follow through with whatever is there to share the folder.

Then over to your HTPC, My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive. Then type the path to your PC in the form of \\PCName\FolderName.

Finally open up the MediaPortal Config and add that network drive as a folder/source for the Video section.

(All going by memory here and for XP, so I might be a bit off with things)
I don't understand what you mean by oath to my pc do you mean the IP address?
on my pc the folder is on "D:\TvMoviesshowsvidedit\TV" so how would I put that into map network drive?
oh and my HTPC is on xp so that part would be the same
Old August 10, 2009, 09:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could do \\IPAddress\ShareName if you wanted, though you can also use your computer's name. It's found if you go Control Panel > System > Computer Name tab. You want the Full Computer Name field. Either way works, but if you use IP, make sure you have your router set so that your PC has a static address.

And the \ShareName part is whatever you named the shared folder when you share it. By default, it should be TV, unless you change it.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok thanks for your help I actually figured it out and it was on my end because I was trying to access windows7 so I was having problems . and thanks for the instructions I can now actually get to the files from my lap top also , now I just need to figure out how to get the printer working the same way, but that is a differentproblem for a new post hehe
Old August 13, 2009, 11:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Printer is just as simple. Just right click on it, Share, give it a name and that's it. On the other PCs you just go to Add Printer and choose Network Printer and it should find it for you.