Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2009, 01:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
XBMC isn't nearly as demanding. A dual core should play all 1080p videos without much of a problem.
I found it far too GPU heavy, at least on my prior 7900GTO. Made the fan speed rev up and it was just way too noisy. Also it seemed to lack codec control/settings so I couldn't tweak the video to my liking. Didn't seem to like my MCE remote either out of the box. I just gave up since it seemed like too much effort to make it how I wanted.

I like my MediaPortal with StreamedMP (very similar to XMBC) skin.
Old July 25, 2009, 12:25 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I found it far too GPU heavy, at least on my prior 7900GTO. Made the fan speed rev up and it was just way too noisy. Also it seemed to lack codec control/settings so I couldn't tweak the video to my liking. Didn't seem to like my MCE remote either out of the box. I just gave up since it seemed like too much effort to make it how I wanted.

I like my MediaPortal with StreamedMP (very similar to XMBC) skin.
I used a HD4350 no problem with XBMC. Ya MCE doesn't work natively. I believe it should work with a script though.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I used a HD4350 no problem with XBMC. Ya MCE doesn't work natively. I believe it should work with a script though.
Well a 7900GTO in a HTPC case with only dual 60mm exhausts wasn't the best idea from the get go but it was all I had at the time to use in it.

Curious, does XBMC pull movie and TV data off the internet? Another thing I like about MediaPortal (though it requires MovingPictures and TVSeries plugins). I get all the information about the movie/episode along with some nice 720p or 1080p fan-art and covers for movies.
Old July 25, 2009, 04:34 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Well a 7900GTO in a HTPC case with only dual 60mm exhausts wasn't the best idea from the get go but it was all I had at the time to use in it.

Curious, does XBMC pull movie and TV data off the internet? Another thing I like about MediaPortal (though it requires MovingPictures and TVSeries plugins). I get all the information about the movie/episode along with some nice 720p or 1080p fan-art and covers for movies.
Yup. It pulls fan art backgrounds, movie covers, episode screen shots, series/episode/movie synopsis, whole 9 yards.

Pic of the build-in skin

Sexy!
Old July 25, 2009, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yup. It pulls fan art backgrounds, movie covers, episode screen shots, series/episode/movie synopsis, whole 9 yards.

Pic of the build-in skin

Sexy!
lol exact same as the TVSeries Plugin

I'd be hard pressed to find any differences.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was trying to test both of those program in VMware but of course I cannot because of Vm uses different drivers and what not so I will have to wait until I put everything together. which software works best with my HVr-1600 tv card what I mean is will the remote work like for flipping through channels or file folder or am I going to have to also get a wireless KB and mouse?

Last edited by Shadowmeph; July 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

I tried both vista and XP, but opted for XP Pro for better Blu-Ray and otehr HD playback performance.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 10, 2009, 10:25 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
lol exact same as the TVSeries Plugin

I'd be hard pressed to find any differences.
i don't suppose you have tried to play 7.1 flac/lpcm with MediaPortal? It seems XBMC doesn't support it since 7.1 isn't 'standardized'.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
i don't suppose you have tried to play 7.1 flac/lpcm with MediaPortal? It seems XBMC doesn't support it since 7.1 isn't 'standardized'.
Well I don't have 7.1 sound system for starters, nor do I have any 7.1 media.

It should play it fine though because MediaPortal just uses whatever codecs you have as the Windows defaults. I have mine set with ffdshow mainly.
Old August 14, 2009, 10:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Has anyone tried using Windows 7 RC for HTPC, with XBMC? 32-bit or 64?