Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2009, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default Clear QAM

Just this week I discovered how clear QAM digital channels are piggy backed into the regular TV cable. I'm floored and never knew this was possible. I tried it with my parents new TV with built in digital tuner and it worked with our local cogeco. I just plugged the new LCD directly into the cable and bypassed the cogeco box, did a channel search, and got more channels than the basic analog cogeco package provides.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. I have an older CRT TV and basic cable from cogeco. Now I really want to tap into those hidden digital channels. I don't know how many extra channels I would get versus what I saw with my parents existing digital cable package either.

I figure I have three options now:
1) Get a digital tuner for the PC and route it back to the TV
2) Get a stand alone set top unit
3) Get a DVD/VCR combo with a digital tuner

If I went for a new TV I would sidestep this whole process, but I'm trying to save money and keep it around 60-80. I'd got higher for option 3.