Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2009, 08:03 AM
Allstar

Default HTPC's running Linux ...

Well ... after reading a few closed threads on this subject I figured it might be time to try again.

Just to make things clear, this thread is about running linux, not about windows.

So, how that thats out of the way, lets forge ahead.

I have been running various linux distro's for years but this is the 1st time I plug into a HDTV using the HDMI port with linux. In the past I found the monitor res to be a battle to get working but using Linux Mint 7 64bit (based on ubuntu 9.04 64bit) this has worked easily after installing the 800 nvidia drive using restricted driver in the admin area section.

I have played around briefly after installing the driver but as of now, I am not getting sound thru HDMI.

Next, I will try to see if something is muted somewhere before going any further.

Feel free to join in

The quest continues ...
Old July 4, 2009, 09:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have the internal SPDIF cable hooked up to the video card from the sound card/motherboard? Since I don't believe any NVIDIA card has an audio controller on it like ATI does.
Old August 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Do you have the internal SPDIF cable hooked up to the video card from the sound card/motherboard? Since I don't believe any NVIDIA card has an audio controller on it like ATI does.
You're right Nvidea cards don't have and on board sound controller, that's one of the reason I prefer ATI when it comes to an HTPC.

Old August 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am planning to dump MS Windos with my new build. What kind of linux software do you use? In windows, I use GBPVR ffdshow and Media Portal. Just wondering if there are integrated packages for Linux.

Last edited by Chris; August 16, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am planning to dump MS Windos with my new build. What kind of linux software do you use? In windows, I use GBPVR ffdshow and Media Portal. Just wondering if there are integrated packages for Linux.
Only one I'm aware of is MythTV, or MythBunutu which is a package with MythTV and Ubuntu.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

mythbuntu but you have to watch out for the tv cards that are compatable I tried to use different Linux versions including mythbunto with my hauppuage 100 tv card but never did get it to work properly even after I used some( built) beta drivers which is why and only why I am using MS os for now until they find somthing that acually works lol
Old August 17, 2009, 08:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks. I found mythtv for debian distribution. I'll be trying it out soon after I iron out a few problems with my new system.