Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2009, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect

Default ARGH! wireless card not connecting to internet

So I've built my HTPC (minus the ram which I am still waiting for hopefully its actually on its way). Its up and running using 2 gb's of ram from my desktop. Everything looks like it works great, BUT.....I bought a belkin wireless PCI card and I set it up. It connects to my wireless router, but it will not connect to the internet from there.

For what its worth I'll try to give as much info as I can on both the card and the router:
-the router is an OLD no name (blitzz) wireless B. its set up on an open network using wep encryption. It has 2 wired computers hooked up at all times. It has a maximum of 4 computers hooked up via wireless, but normally there is only 1 or 2 laptops on at a time
-the wireless card is brand new, made by belkin and operates on a wireless G signal. its a PCI card, and I've updated it with the most recent drivers from belkin's website.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

(ps. all my other internet connections work)
Old May 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Do you means you have already others computers ( the laptops ) connected to the wireless router ?
Old May 3, 2009, 07:58 PM
Top Prospect

yes, there are 2 wired connections to the router. Those computers are always on.
there are 4 laptops which also connect, but they are never all on at the same time

All these connections work
Old May 3, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Can you try your card in another computer? That might help. Who knows maybe it's the card and not some incorrect setting.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

I don't ask if you have wired one I want to know if you have wireless computer ( laptop working on this router.. ) it's for know if the router have the wireless enable and set properly.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataxpert View Post
I don't ask if you have wired one I want to know if you have wireless computer ( laptop working on this router.. ) it's for know if the router have the wireless enable and set properly.
I know. I guess I should have been more specific. When I said there are 4 laptops connected, I meant there are 4 wireless connections. and yes, they all work

the router has been working fine for over 5 years.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
Banned

So check the setup of those one and compare to the one of the new card...
Old May 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally a HTPC with a 802.11b wireless connection is going to suck if you do any kind playback of files over the network.
Old May 4, 2009, 05:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Personally a HTPC with a 802.11b wireless connection is going to suck if you do any kind playback of files over the network.
nah, I'm still ghetto like that. I don't stream any media at all. Its simply for an internet connection
Old May 5, 2009, 04:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

whats the OS of the HTPC? Double check the DNS settings on the HTPC... if all else fails, hard-code the DNS of the HTPC to point to your ISP's DNS servers and see what happens. Can you ping out? ie. ping 74.125.127.147 instead of www.google.ca <?>