Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   ARGH! wireless card not connecting to internet (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/17553-argh-wireless-card-not-connecting-internet.html)

quikgp May 3, 2009 07:41 PM

ARGH! wireless card not connecting to internet

So I've built my HTPC (minus the ram which I am still waiting for :whistle: hopefully its actually on its way). Its up and running using 2 gb's of ram from my desktop. Everything looks like it works great, BUT.....I bought a belkin wireless PCI card and I set it up. It connects to my wireless router, but it will not connect to the internet from there.

For what its worth I'll try to give as much info as I can on both the card and the router:
-the router is an OLD no name (blitzz) wireless B. its set up on an open network using wep encryption. It has 2 wired computers hooked up at all times. It has a maximum of 4 computers hooked up via wireless, but normally there is only 1 or 2 laptops on at a time
-the wireless card is brand new, made by belkin and operates on a wireless G signal. its a PCI card, and I've updated it with the most recent drivers from belkin's website.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

(ps. all my other internet connections work)

dataxpert May 3, 2009 07:54 PM

Do you means you have already others computers ( the laptops ) connected to the wireless router ?

quikgp May 3, 2009 07:58 PM

yes, there are 2 wired connections to the router. Those computers are always on.
there are 4 laptops which also connect, but they are never all on at the same time

All these connections work

crazyhorsejohnny May 3, 2009 08:00 PM

Can you try your card in another computer? That might help. Who knows maybe it's the card and not some incorrect setting.

dataxpert May 3, 2009 08:15 PM

I don't ask if you have wired one I want to know if you have wireless computer ( laptop working on this router.. ) it's for know if the router have the wireless enable and set properly.

quikgp May 3, 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataxpert (Post 189239)
I don't ask if you have wired one I want to know if you have wireless computer ( laptop working on this router.. ) it's for know if the router have the wireless enable and set properly.

I know. I guess I should have been more specific. When I said there are 4 laptops connected, I meant there are 4 wireless connections. and yes, they all work

the router has been working fine for over 5 years.

dataxpert May 3, 2009 08:36 PM

So check the setup of those one and compare to the one of the new card...

JD May 3, 2009 09:22 PM

Personally a HTPC with a 802.11b wireless connection is going to suck if you do any kind playback of files over the network.

quikgp May 4, 2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 189278)
Personally a HTPC with a 802.11b wireless connection is going to suck if you do any kind playback of files over the network.

nah, I'm still ghetto like that. I don't stream any media at all. Its simply for an internet connection:thumb:

grinder May 5, 2009 04:03 PM

whats the OS of the HTPC? Double check the DNS settings on the HTPC... if all else fails, hard-code the DNS of the HTPC to point to your ISP's DNS servers and see what happens. Can you ping out? ie. ping 74.125.127.147 instead of www.google.ca <?>