Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Conveting an older pc into a HTPC

I have an older 1.5 gb IBM net vista and I was thinking of converting it into a very simple HTPC for my parents, they have a quite old TV that still has a great picture ( the tuning goes out a tiny bit now and then) and of course my Dad doesn't want to part from it so I was wondering if there is a way for me to convert this old IBM into a sort of converter tuner using my TV card that I don't use on my pc and just plugging it into there DVD vcr combo. then I could just upload allot of tv episodes onto my usb stick and transfer them onto that PC so they could watch missed TV shows. and this could be done whre do I start or is there any websites out there that show how to do this with older tvs? this of course would save me from burning dvds of TV episodes for them to watch
Old April 29, 2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

If you can put a TV tuner card in that PC, it will be even better, you will record it directly..... look at what I found for a very cheap price,. I don't check if they have something better, may beother member will do.. the only thing people complain is not high resolution, who care in your case...... I think I gone order one for my wife PC $ 38 with a remote........ I think I paid 10 or 15 times that price for my ATI all in wonder 9600 , not so many years ago...

Newegg.ca - Leadtek Tuner Card with Remote Control TV2000XP RM PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices
Old April 29, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if it can play videos smoothly then its a go

If not you can try to get an ati card for some video acceleration
Old April 29, 2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

You remember me than I have on of those card a SB I think, who have a VGA input at the back than yo plug with a small vga cable to the vga output of the GPU, you plug the monitor on that card.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool then I have to dig around and see what I have so I can test it out to see if it can handle video which OS would you recommend ?
Old April 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

what Os you have on this Pc, I know sofware like sageTv , can run even on win98 , or linux , but I never try it, here a link to the requierement, they have a 21 days trial... nothing to loose But I try one free 2 years ago it was on linux I try to find and came back on it

SageTV® [ System Requirements ]
Old April 29, 2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

Could.t not find it on my software server. but I found that interesting link, with review of few Media Center , it give me the taste to learn more Linux

Using Your Linux Computer As A Media Center (Part 1) | MakeUseOf.com
Old May 1, 2009, 08:55 AM
HaDeS

What are the specs on the computer itself? I tried using a 1.2ghz intel before and it failed badly and IDE drives aren't quite fast enough either so i learned. The other problem i had with slower computers as HTPC were recording and watching or watching and navagating in the OS to the point of lockup. Hauppauge TV 150mce cards come with a remote btw.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
What are the specs on the computer itself? I tried using a 1.2ghz intel before and it failed badly and IDE drives aren't quite fast enough either so i learned. The other problem i had with slower computers as HTPC were recording and watching or watching and navagating in the OS to the point of lockup. Hauppauge TV 150mce cards come with a remote btw.
ya this thing barely has 300 mb ram and a 1.6 ghz processor maybe I should just build a PC from the older AMD x64 processor instead
Old May 2, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1.6ghz should be fine with 480p videos with an add-on ati x1xxx series and up gpu