Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Is linux a good choice for an HTPC system? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/17370-linux-good-choice-htpc-system.html)

quikgp April 28, 2009 01:07 PM

Mods please close

I'm looking for comments from users about their linux experience for HTPCs

I'm under the impression that there aren't any special OS out there for HTPC, rather you can use Windows, MacOS X or Linux with a media center software package.

I want to try something new, but I don't want to use MacOS X due to its lack of blu-ray support. I'd like to try linux, but I'm not familiar with it at all

Its also important to note that this computer will be used by the whole family and they have a unique ability to screw up any computer they seem to touch unless i heavily monitor it. Also, they only know windows, so if linux is too complex to run once set up, I guess I have no choice.

as a side note, can linux emulate a windows or a direct x environment for gaming?

dataxpert April 28, 2009 01:22 PM

How many tread on the subject you will post , you start one this afternoon, bash Microsoft like I never see , and look down your comments . You have only 18 post here, 2 where you give sh.... ... to someone and bash and bash All you other tread if for stuf you have for sale.....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/17364-good-operating-system-htpc.html#post186447

Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp (Post 186444)
Whats BS is your lack of english. Learn the language or learn to type, then feel free to comment.

Mods please close this thread.

Bomberman07 April 28, 2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataxpert (Post 186448)
How many tread on the subject you will post , you start one this afternoon, bash Microsoft like I never see , and look down your comments . You have only 18 post here, 2 where you give sh.... ... to someone and bash and bash All you other tread if for stuf you have for sale.....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/17364-good-operating-system-htpc.html#post186447

+1 :)

quikgp April 28, 2009 05:07 PM

wow.. I thought this was a helpful community. I take that back. I will continue to bash microsoft until they release a good operating system, and second, I will continue to bash moron's like dataxpert. I started a new thread because of the moronic arguement going on in the other thread. I asked the mod's to close it. Hence the new thread. But good thing you can read english....

again. Mods please close this thread.

Infiniti April 28, 2009 05:31 PM

Well.. Let's get back on topic. I'd say that Linux would work pretty well for an HTPC, especially since the new Ubuntu 9.04 came out. You shouldn't need to worry about Ubuntu being too complicated, since everything is sorted into proper sections. (ie. Games, Media, etc)

I'm not too sure about Blu-ray support, but most likely, it'll work fine. As for games, I wouldn't be using Linux if you're planning on gaming most of the time though. But for a random game here or there, you can use Wine. Just make sure you check if your app is compatible here: WineHQ - Browse Applications

HTH.

Oh, and a little off topic, but Windows 7 is actually pretty good, so I'd try that out if I were you. Who knows, you might change your opinion on Microsoft. :thumb:

enaberif April 28, 2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infiniti (Post 186566)
Well.. Let's get back on topic. I'd say that Linux would work pretty well for an HTPC, especially since the new Ubuntu 9.04 came out. You shouldn't need to worry about Ubuntu being too complicated, since everything is sorted into proper sections. (ie. Games, Media, etc)

I'm not too sure about Blu-ray support, but most likely, it'll work fine. As for games, I wouldn't be using Linux if you're planning on gaming most of the time though. But for a random game here or there, you can use Wine. Just make sure you check if your app is compatible here: WineHQ - Browse Applications

HTH.

Oh, and a little off topic, but Windows 7 is actually pretty good, so I'd try that out if I were you. Who knows, you might change your opinion on Microsoft. :thumb:

If he's any bit like me the answer would be nothing can change my opinion of current OS state.

MythBuntu is a great linux variation if you want to use a linux based environment.

3.0charlie April 28, 2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp (Post 186554)
wow.. I thought this was a helpful community. I take that back. I will continue to bash microsoft until they release a good operating system, and second, I will continue to bash moron's like dataxpert. I started a new thread because of the moronic arguement going on in the other thread. I asked the mod's to close it. Hence the new thread. But good thing you can read english....

again. Mods please close this thread.

First, you are allowed to bash any product out there for a reason, not because you felt like it. Tell me why Windows is worth bashing - and don't even think mentionning that it's unstable. I have 4 Vista rigs, and 2 XPs. ALL ARE STABLE. Otherwise, I would have used Linux. Find another excuse.

Second, we do not tolerate member bashing AT ALL. You are the new kid on the block, behave. Read. And respect the other members - even if English is not their first language - oddly enough, English is my third. Care to bash me if I make a grammar mistake?

This is a very mature Community - we are mostly old farts around here. Hang around, and respect the other members. They'll do the same.

As requested, thread closed.