Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

Default Mods please close

Mod's please close

Last edited by quikgp; April 28, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

You won't be able to play Blu-Rays without third party software, and linux doesn't have a solution for that. No blu-rays will work on linux last I read.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old April 28, 2009, 09:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

HTPC OS?
E8400 | Xigmatek HDT-S1283 | GA-EP45-DS3L | OCZ XTC Platinum Edition PC2-8500 4X2GB | HD 4890 1GB | Corsair Tx750W | Samsung 245BW | WD 1TB Caviar Black | Turtle Beach Ear Force X-52 | Antec Three Hundred
Old April 28, 2009, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect

ignorant question...but is SageTV a windows program? or is it a full OS?
Old April 28, 2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Funny my systems have no crash ( exept the one I download and try new stuff YA a lot ) .... My old Inspiron have Xp install since 4 years, don't even recall a crash....

Is it all about bashing Microsoft ? ...... usually when someone give me that soung, it's because he have very little knowledge on OS ..... or they don't use legal copy of Microsoft and a lot of Web Free Stuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikgp View Post
I've completed my HTPC build!

....I dont like windows whatsoever. In fact, I hate it. BUT I know windows well, ...........However, windows is microsoft, which means frequent crashes and an overall crappy program.

I would like to get something more stable, but hopefully retain the usefulness of windows (games, internet, blu-ray etc)

.....!!
Old April 28, 2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

I thought it was the bashing of Microsoft that was ignorant, ... for the question SageTV v for Windows, SageTV for Linux,,,,,,, I guess it need an Windows or a linux , now if you talk about SageTV HD theater, I guess it have a sort of built in linux, or their own proprietary software

Quote:
ignorant question...but is SageTV a windows program? or is it a full OS?
Old April 28, 2009, 10:49 AM
Top Prospect

Its a legal copy of windows I use, but its general knowledge that vista is not a complete operating system. It never was. Microsoft decided to release it before it was finished strictly becuase they could and no one governs that.

Don't get me wrong, I use Microsoft software all the time (office which is exceptionally well done), and windows has its purposes - gaming, proper blu-ray support, third pary software is unbeatable (unlike other OS's), but there are so many "features" in windows that irk me. The fact that virtually everything in windows must be done via third party software is a huge annoyance (even formatting a drive requires 3rd party software, unless the drive is already formatted in Fat or NTFS).
I'm not sure that I can fault anyone here, but I'm certian that everyone on this forum has had driver issues at some point. Seems to be mainly a windows fault (that might be out of sheer volume of windows users/hardware config's tho).
Almost all of microsoft's automatic features are annoying too. from automatic updates to digitally signed drivers...and lack of security in an OS.

if I'm off base on any of those feel free to call me ignorant. Its my opinion thats all. The main reason why I posted the question about a stable OS is because this will be a computer sitting in my living room and my whole family can access it. I wont be the one to screw it up or crash it, but I'm sure someone else will (they screw up every other computer in the house, so why exclude this one :P)
Old April 28, 2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

That's BS for cheap forum board. I think here people are more serious to beleive on those .... Fix the way you handle the user right in the family computer and stop to blame Microsoft for your own mistake. Install Linux in all them and give all you kids root right, you will see what a real screw up is.... can beleive that crap

Quote:
Its a legal copy of windows I use, but its general knowledge that vista is not a complete operating system. It never was. Microsoft decided to release it before it was finished strictly becuase they could and no one governs that.

.....)
Old April 28, 2009, 01:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataxpert View Post
That's BS for cheap forum board. I think here people are more serious to beleive on those .... Fix the way you handle the user right in the family computer and stop to blame Microsoft for your own mistake. Install Linux in all them and give all you kids root right, you will see what a real screw up is.... can beleive that crap
Whats BS is your lack of english. Learn the language or learn to type, then feel free to comment.

Mods please close this thread.
Old April 28, 2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

May be my language and the Microsoft products.. are not so much different after all. ....not complete...

I try to learn a better English every day, every time I came here, and fortunately I found very good example of fine English ( see your quote below…… )

Quote:

Last edited by dataxpert; April 28, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Closed Thread