Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Any reason not to buy this case? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/17104-any-reason-not-buy-case.html)

Nodscene April 21, 2009 01:25 PM

Any reason not to buy this case?

I'm looking at the Silverstone LC20B-M NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Lascala LC20B-M Black HTPC Desktop Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT W/VFD W/REMOTE No PS - LC20B-M In Canada.. I know the case is a few years old but it has a VFD and remote plus it's ATX. It also has it's own software which seems to get positive reviews. I was going to go with the NMedia 2000B NCIX.com - Buy Nmedia HTPC-2000B Desktop Media Centre Case ATX Black 1X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT Card Reader No PS - HTPC-2000B In Canada. as it looks to be a great case but when you add on the LCD and remote it will be about the same price. The problem then becomes finding a remote for XP MCE or some third party software which I have no clue about haha.

Any other suggestions?

I'll be using either my Intel BadAxe2 mobo or the Gigabyte in my signature as well as a Intel C2D 2ghz (if I remember correctly) and 2gigs of ram.

Oh yeah, I also need a video card that has HDMI out and will handle .mkv files :)

Thanks

Squeetard April 21, 2009 02:36 PM

That lascala was on sale at ncix just a few weeks ago for $100 off.

JD April 21, 2009 02:41 PM

Grab that Gigabyte HD4350 (or any HD4350). Great HTPC card IMO. Though I don't think it does much offloading for MKV, but a Core 2 should be fine anyways.

As for MCE remotes, they're pretty cheap: Newegg.ca - Anyware GP-IR01BK Windows Vista Infrared MCE Black Remote Control

Nodscene April 21, 2009 05:16 PM

Thanks jdrom17, but from what I'm hearing the Vista remotes won't work with XP due to drivers.

Squeetard, of course it was. I always seem to be a little late!

Dazmode April 21, 2009 07:17 PM

I use Antec Fusion HTPC case for almost 2 years now, extremely happy with my choice.

Antec - Fusion Remote Black

I use passive Ninja heatsink on Core Duo, HD3750 card and laptop hard drives. Totally silent. Plays any HD content I need.

Also, I downgraded to XP and got much better performance playback for BluRays.

JD April 21, 2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodscene (Post 182979)
Thanks jdrom17, but from what I'm hearing the Vista remotes won't work with XP due to drivers.

Squeetard, of course it was. I always seem to be a little late!

Ah, well I have a rather old Microsoft branded one, worked great in XP and works the same in Vista. Guess I'm just lucky to have a MS one...

Though just to note, I think you need to be running the MCE edition of XP for it to work as the drivers are part of Media Center. Maybe that's why people couldn't get it working in XP?

Rigs64 April 21, 2009 08:32 PM

Got an Adesso vista remote from Tiger Direct,$50 including shipping and it works on Xp MCE 2005 as well as XP Pro Sp3.

Nodscene April 22, 2009 05:21 AM

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I was looking at the Antec also. Looks like a nice case.

I'l keep that in mind Rigs64. Chances are though I'll go with a case that has one included, just to make my life simpler.

I guess I should have said some Vista remotes won't work under xp. It's a crapshoot that I'd rather not have to worry about :)

Dazmode April 22, 2009 07:55 AM

Check out Harmony One - amazing remote for HTPC.

JD April 22, 2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazmode (Post 183242)
Check out Harmony One - amazing remote for HTPC.

Regardless you still need the IR receiver for the PC...

I use a Harmony 550 with mine.