Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Best software for cutting commercials and re-encoding videos? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/15596-best-software-cutting-commercials-re-encoding-videos.html)

lowfat March 9, 2009 02:52 PM

Best software for cutting commercials and re-encoding videos?

For commercial cutting, I am currently using H264TS Cutter, which I am pretty sure is causing my audio to not be in sync anymore. So I am looking for other suggestions.

And for encoding. I am currently using Handbrake, which I like but it is rather slow. Is there anything out there that will use 8 cores? I also tried Badaboom, which took the video and make it into something like 15 fps, it was awfully choppy.

CMetaphor March 9, 2009 02:58 PM

Also interested in this topic, free bump....

gingerbee March 9, 2009 03:11 PM

dmoon9.org is your best friend

Shadowmeph March 9, 2009 03:22 PM

for what type of files? for avi files I use virtualdub works great and it is free. not sure about 8 cores.
a good site to get vid editing questions answers is AfterDawn.com: Forums

CMetaphor March 9, 2009 03:23 PM

Is it multithreaded? I was thinking of using handbrake as well....

lowfat March 9, 2009 03:33 PM

The original source files are TS. I want to outputted file to be either MKV or MP4.

Handbrake is multithreaded, but only will use 4 threads.

I am trying Badaboom again (Nvidia cards only), to see it it was a one time thing. Handbrake is good, but it takes like 3-4 hours to convert 45 minutes of uncompressed 1080i TV a 1GB MKV (with denoise, deinterlace, and detelecine enabled). And with the amount of TV shows I have recorded this is going to take a year. :sad:

lcdguy March 10, 2009 12:11 PM

As for cutting commericials i don't know since i don't watch that much TV. but for rencoding. tried handbrake but hated it. I now use automkv for most of my encoding needs and if it get's real troublesome i revert to gordianknot. You could probably use vob sub and manually cut the commercials out.

lowfat March 10, 2009 01:03 PM

Actually I got the H264TS cut to work great after a few tries. I love handbrake because the advanced options help a lot, it just isn't fast enough and it crashes when doing a 2-pass encode for some reason. I want 8 threads. I wish I could get the Badaboom to work properly, CUDA encoding is so damn fast.

gingerbee March 10, 2009 01:11 PM

nero nero nero ha ha nero recode simple and easy but not free and i do not recommend nero 9 yet just nero 8 for vista 64 anyway thats what i use that or vdubmod

lcdguy March 10, 2009 01:16 PM

ugh. don't get me started on nero recode. About the only thing it does right is simplicty. Im experience nero recode can suffer from audio out of synch and unless you pay more money for 5.1 audio codecs it will take your wonderful 5.1 or 7.1 audio and convert it into 2 channel pcm. no thanks.

to low fat: btw automkv uses an auto setting for the thread count. Which i think basically uses as many cores as it can for threads. It usually takes me around 1-3hrs to completely convert and create a MKV file from the dvd's i am converting. There are a TON of options in the program and allows to just do a direct stream copy for the audio tracks. supports 2 audio tracks and subtitles as well. I would check it out and give it a whirl. BTW the movies i am encoding are being done on a stock e8400.