Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow. That sounds a little complicated. For someone like myself, who already has a HDPVR and doesn't intend to record off the "air", would a simple Ubuntu install and VLC would be the way to go for playback of Bluerays/DVDs and downloaded content?
Old February 20, 2009, 11:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Wow. That sounds a little complicated. For someone like myself, who already has a HDPVR and doesn't intend to record off the "air", would a simple Ubuntu install and VLC would be the way to go for playback of Bluerays/DVDs and downloaded content?
Yes...if you already have a way to record the content (in your case Sugar you have a HDPVR...I believe Biff wants to use the computer to to the recording, using channels he watches using his 4250HD box). In order to use his PC to record shows from that HD box he needs a way to control it.

Its actually not that complicated as far as I can see it. Many folks have done it if they have the stuff to do so (the tuner, Blaster, software, and STB). If he has a tuner that came with a Blaster its worth a try, or if he buys a tuner, get one with the blaster.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 20, 2009, 11:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Is there any point in buying a TV Tuner card these days? Once everything goes Digital, won't a lot of them cease to work?

And at least for me, plugging cable directly into any device, be it a TV Tuner card or an actual TV, results in lackluster image quality. Though using a Rogers STB provides a much better picture.

I don't believe Rogers uses HDCP on their HDMI ports, on the 4250HD. Pretty sure when I was in the advanced information part it showed as HDMI not being protected. So Firewire might not be as well, but I don't have a cable to test that out.

Also the downfall I see with using a STB to do recording is that you can't watch something else while recording. You're stuck watching what it's recording. And it seems like Rogers is getting quite a few prime-time shows onto ROD now anyways.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yep these are some of the downfalls. My card does have the digital tuner as well, but its the Qam signal that Rogers does not use.

One thing I love about the sage I guess is the placeshifting option. I sit in my back yard and watch my TV on my laptop, streamed live. I can also change channels on my tuner from my backyard, and the quality is really good. I also have watched my TV live (Toronto television) while in Calgary and NF. But the more components you add the more chances things can go wrong for sure! My setup has been great so far, except I have not tried the digital box IR blaster yet.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Chris, You're on the right track for what I'm looking for. I don't watch a lot of TV, pretty much just Leaf games and Discovery Channel.... and there is a new channel out EquatorHD IIRC that looks good. That's about it and all of it is on my Rogers 4250HD. I'd like to be able to record these if I know I'm going to be out or busy, I don't forsee the need to record one channel while watching another. Maybe record while I'm doing something else though like watching a movie but AFAICT that would use different resorces depending if my machine can keep up with it. For instance wanting to record MythBusters while I got shanghaid into chickflick night.

I don't have a video capture card so I'm open to anything right now. As best as I can see the Hauppage 1600 only has s-video in, did I see that right? I'm aware that I may only be able to record in SD though that is DVD quality isn't it? I may try the firewire before I get a video capture card since it is only a cable I have to buy, unless you know of other hardware that I can use to record HD. I've read that you can record HD using the analog component video but don't know of any hardware that can do that.

So Sage can get a hold of Rogers programing that I can use to tell it what channel to record and when? I do also have a Logitech Harmony remote if that helps any in the setup.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 21, 2009, 09:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have not tried recording HD on that card. I doubt it actually, as the video input goes through a coax cable, and HD needs component or HDMI. I am not sure about the resolutions supported by the digital tuner on there, but I do know that the digital tuner on the card does not support Rogers anyways.

As for your Harmony remote, I don't have one and never thought about that. It might work, but there would have to be a way for the computer to tell the remote to change the 4250HD channel, which I didn't think it could do. From what I have read, everybody uses the IR-Blaster, USB-UIRT, or the Firewire connection to control the digital cable box. The IR-Blaster is popular, just because it comes with many tuner cards. Last night I was reading that the UIRT/Firewire is preferred by some. So if you buy a card I would make sure you get one with the IR Blaster, in case you want to use that (as an option). The Hauppauge HVR-1600 and HVR-1800 both have one (the only difference between the two is PCI and PCI-E). Make sure you buy the one with the remote and blaster, as they sell an oem one without the remote and blaster. Again, I doubt any real HD compatibility.

As for the tv lineup for Rogers, it will do that no problem, right from within SageTV if you went that route. You just put in your postal code, and select your cable package. Works for me in Ajax, so I would be shocked if it didn't work out in Courtice. I looked at a few other pieces of software before I bought Sage, but the placeshifting was something I really liked and the TV lineups for Canada were free/available. Before you buy Sage download it and evaluate it first of course! If you go Linux I have never tried Sage with that, so make sure there is a driver and software for your tuner card and IR blaster for Linux.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2009, 09:25 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Actually Biff, if you are interested download this software: SageTV®[ Downloading SageTV&reg Software ]

Its the placeshifter app. PM me and I'll send you a code so that you can access my SageTV and tuner to have a look. The cable quality sucks in my house right now (too many connections) but you will have a chance to test drive it without buying a card. I only have basic cable connected.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 23, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Chris, thanks but I'm going to look at this a little later on. I didn't realize all that was involved in getting a HTPC up and going.... bluray issues.... sound issues... blah blah. So I'm just going to concentrate on getting that going first. I'll probably just use VMC to get my feet wet, and I want to get a good solution going for music. I've done a ton of reading lately about HTPC's and on the audio front too. I just spent ~1.5k on raw speakers for left+center+right & sub and that doesn't even include the materials to build the speaker boxes (shhh don't tell the wife!) so I want this to be ready with this when I'm done building these speakers because I'm pretty anxious to hear these things!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 25, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i know you've put this on hold. But defintely give SAGE tv a try. I have used ton's of ther windows based media centers (mce2005, vistamce, media portal, sage tv, etc) if you plan on reciever on digital signals as i hate to admit it MCE2005 is really awesome. How ever if you plan on recieving HD OTA use Sage TV. This is for a couple of reasons.

1. You can merge you program guides between the analogue and HD OTA channels.
2. It supports a Program guide for HD OTA for canada, media centre does not
3. Setup and configuration is stupid easy and it works with alot of different remotes including the one that comes with the diamond hd tv tuner.

Old February 25, 2009, 01:30 PM
Banned
F@H

Yeha, I've heard nothing but good stuff about SageTV. Good to hear we've got someone on here to hit up for questions...