Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Need HELP setting up Media Center PC!!!

All right guys, this bloody Media PC is giving me headaches. Please stick with me, this could get long.

I have:
Two Sapphire TheatriX TV Tuner cards
Asus M2A-VM HDMI
Microsoft MCE 2005

I am hooking it all up to a standard tube TV (480I) with regular cable (no set-top box)

So here are my connections from the HTPC

I use the S-video to go to the TV and the Cable In on one of the tuners.

These are the connections in the back of my TV:

So, I have an S-Video for picture and the standard Red / White Composite cables.

Here is my first problem: How in the heck do I hook up the TV for SOUND?? The TV cards have no Cable Out so where am I supposed to hook the Red / White cables to?

The next problem comes with watching live TV. I go here after setting it up (it detects that I have a cable signal):

Then I get this bloody message:

So where am I going wrong here? Can someone help me????
Old May 18, 2007, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Your sound card handles all the audio output. You need to pick up one of those 3mm earphone to stereo-RCA adapters. Walmart, Zellers, RadioShack, all carry them.

I've never seen MCE work right "out of the box". Usually if you see a decoder error, that means you don't have an MPEG decoder installed (considering the cost of MCE that's pretty retarded eh). A sure-fire way to get rid of that error is to purchase and install WinDVD. There are other MPEG decoders out there but installing WinDVD truely is the most hastle free way of fixing your issue (trust me, i damn near tried them all).

Good luck, have fun, and prepare for 2 weeks of frustration while you set everything up the way you want it.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

oh yeah. Not that i dont mind helping you here or anything but back when I ran MCE on my media center PC i found this web site was a HUGE resource for information.

The forum is packed with good stuff... so i HIGHLY suggest you run a forum search before posting a question.

The Green Button - Your Media Center Community
Old May 18, 2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Grinder is correct. You need a 3mm to rca adapter as well as a DVD Decoder.

Most people are going with the Nvidia Decoder or WINDVD or PowerDVD. After you install one of those the decoder error will go away.

Don't worry, this get's alot of people.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:47 PM

I have the Cyberlink Powercinema 4 software that came with the card. Will that work as a decoder???
Old May 19, 2007, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have the Cyberlink Powercinema 4 software that came with the card. Will that work as a decoder???
Been awhile since I used PowerDVD but I think that has Powerdvd included doesnt it?
Have you tried updating powercinema 4? Got the latest patch?

I have Powerdvd5 and dont use it, your welcome to the key if you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 19, 2007, 09:37 AM

This is ridiculous. HOW can a company sell a TV tuner WITHOUT A DECODER!?! I installed ALL of the files and no dice.

The odd thing is that I can watch TV with the Powercinema software....

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 19, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

hrm, i would recommend you keep trying any DVD decoder you can get your hands on. I installed countless decoders on my rig till i found one that worked with my setup. For me it was WinDVD, for others its the nvidia decoder, for some nero7 did the trick. ATI has a decoder as well

Did i mention it would take a while to get everything up and running?
Old May 20, 2007, 08:16 AM

What is the ATI decoder called?
Old May 21, 2007, 01:20 AM
MVP

Default codecs

Use G-Spot to identify the codecs required for a given file and whether your OS has them installed/available

Super Quick Start

Tons of info on codecs and many codec packs to choose from

Free-Codecs.com :: Download latest audio codecs, video codecs, codec packs and tools, FREE!

Personally, I avoid as much ATI software as possible. Drivers only is most preferred. There are these articles which may be of interest though
Windows XP Media Center Edition Encoder
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/K...estionID=19916
How to get your All-In-Wonder working in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/k...estionID=19393