Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
Allstar

I know this is a N00b question but the purpose of 2 tuner cards... so you can record 1 channel while watching another?
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old May 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yes. Or if you have a splitter, you can record TWO shows while watching another.
Old May 26, 2007, 04:42 PM
Allstar

I used two tuners for awhile. I had one built into my ATI and another add-in tuner. I wanted Picture in Picture. The novelty wore off and now I just use the one that has hardware encoding.
Old July 5, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

used to get that, i installed nvidia pure video, now it works great :) Basically MCE is just a fancy skin for windows. if you try to play file and it doesn't work install the codec for it and see if it helps.

Old July 6, 2007, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah its definately a pain. Vista Premium and Ultimate come with decoders though, and work better than MCE as an HTPC. Thats what I run, but of course it isn't as perfect as other solutions, like LinuxMCE which I want to try. Sadly, I have the Sapphire Theatrix card as well, and no linux support at all.

Nice thread to the OP. I know its old but its good to see stuff like this for people who are starting to make their own HTPCs.
Old August 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
Allstar

I found the KM player is great for TV,DVD and files. Chris TV is also a good one. I don't play alot of games so my system is basically for audio and HTPC functions.
Old September 24, 2007, 05:23 PM
Rookie

Greetings,

I am wondering Skymtl did you get that HTPC working. I built a HTPC but not with a ATI tuner cards and not with Windows MCE. I find MCE is a pain in the rear. I only recommend Hauppauge. They are the best and most reliable. My system is running windows XP home with Sage TV. I will create a link showing my system. I am currently building another system for my cousin.
Old September 24, 2007, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just built my first HTPC and I am using Nvidia's codecs, but I still can't get proper 720P output to my new 720P LCD TV. I am unfortunately using a X1600 PRO for Video and I believe it has very limited options for my needs. I am switching to the ASUS 8600GT HDMI out card. Anyone have a better or cheaper suggestion for a video card that does atleast HDCP?
Old September 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I just built my first HTPC and I am using Nvidia's codecs, but I still can't get proper 720P output to my new 720P LCD TV. I am unfortunately using a X1600 PRO for Video and I believe it has very limited options for my needs. I am switching to the ASUS 8600GT HDMI out card. Anyone have a better or cheaper suggestion for a video card that does atleast HDCP?
What are you using as your output? I only had success when I went DVI or HDMI for full HDCP. Incidently I have an ATI 800XL in my HTPC. Currently I am doing svideo out but I was able to do 1080i and 720p
Old September 24, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I tried composite (RGB) out and that wouldn't work right at all. My next step is HDMI through DVI although I have my eye on the 8600GT ASUS HDMI card. I'm trying to take it slow for now since I already spent twice my budget on this thing, LOL!