Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2008, 01:24 AM
Rookie

Default Is it possible to watch tv while surfing net without tv tuner card

I was thinking of using my 37inch lcd tv as my pc monitor. I would also like to hook-up my shaw pvr box also. My understanding is that i could only watch tv by switching to tv mode and surf the net by switching back to pc mode.

1) Is there anyway to do both at the same time or would i need a tv tuner? I don't want to record tv to my hard drive and still record to my shaw box.

2) If i do need a tv tuner card, would the picture quality be as good as having my tv not connected to pc.
Old December 13, 2008, 03:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if you cable comes into a cable box then you need to connect that to your computer. The only other way to do this would be to hook it up a video in video card or a tv tuner.

Old December 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyh View Post
1) Is there anyway to do both at the same time or would i need a tv tuner? I don't want to record tv to my hard drive and still record to my shaw box.

2) If i do need a tv tuner card, would the picture quality be as good as having my tv not connected to pc.
1. If your TV supports PIP (picture in picture), then you could possible do this without a TV tuner card. This would basically overly a box ontop of your PC input with the TV input. Not the most ideal though since it would completely cover whatever is on your PC screen in that section.

2. If you get a TV card, I think your going to loose some quality since your taking the digital feed from Shaw into their box which makes an analog connection (assuming your not using HDMI) and then you'd be taking that and converting it back into digital using the TV tuner card. However I haven't used TV tuner cards in ages so perhaps they are better now.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:40 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
1. If your TV supports PIP (picture in picture), then you could possible do this without a TV tuner card. This would basically overly a box ontop of your PC input with the TV input. Not the most ideal though since it would completely cover whatever is on your PC screen in that section.

2. If you get a TV card, I think your going to loose some quality since your taking the digital feed from Shaw into their box which makes an analog connection (assuming your not using HDMI) and then you'd be taking that and converting it back into digital using the TV tuner card. However I haven't used TV tuner cards in ages so perhaps they are better now.
You wouldn't use a tuner card if he has a set top box, he would use a capture card

And using a good capture card (Hauppauge HD PVR [expensive]) he would maintain good quality. But I don't believe he wants to spend any money.

So either he uses PIP or if his PVR has an input (usually firewire) to watch it.

VLC can generally watch streams over ethernet/firewire if setup correctly.
Old December 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
Rookie

thanks for the advice guys.

To keep things simple, I decided to buy a new graphics card and hook up my lcd tv as a second monitor with my 20 inch dell monitor. I feel this is the most simple solution for me to watch tv while doing other things on my pc. Again thanks for your replies.