Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Looking to Pick up a Blu-Ray for my TV PC (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/11154-looking-pick-up-blu-ray-my-tv-pc.html)

norfolk October 23, 2008 03:43 PM

Looking to Pick up a Blu-Ray for my TV PC

Hi all....... I really interested in the idea of getting myself a Blu-Ray player for my TV PC.Here"s my spec"s
Samsung HPT 4264 Plasma (Wall Mount)
Pc consist"s of the following:
A 2.1 gig system Capable of running Vista Ultimate 64 bit,
loaded with a PCIe 800xl video card.
Right now I am use to a ps3 Hooked up to my Plasma via a HDMI cable.So I am kinda hoping to be able to to get the same result"s out of this pc as I am use to with my son"s ps3.
Is this possible and if so can you reccomend a player I can buy off the Canada Computers web site?
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.
Thx guy"s :punk:

lowfat October 23, 2008 04:05 PM

x800xl does not do video acceralation AFAIK. So no it won't work without a new videocard. You'll need at least a 2400XT or an 8600GT. I use a Canada Computers - CD/DVD/RW /Blu-Ray Drives > Blu-Ray Drives : LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray HD DVD Combo Drive BD-R 6x/HD DVD-Rom 3x/16x DVD+/-R Lightscribe SATA W/Software. for a player, however it is like $30-$40 cheaper at NCIX generally.

lcdguy October 23, 2008 07:26 PM

one other thing you should look into if the drive/your pc will support profile 2.0 for blueray.

Also since it looks like you will need software and a new videocard you might want to consider picking up a PS3 as they are relatively cheap, support profile 2 and can output with HDMI. Plus it's a ps3 so you can game in HD glory :)

lowfat October 24, 2008 12:37 AM

Pretty sure all PC drives support all versions of blu-ray. It isn't very hard to update firmware on a drive either.

norfolk October 24, 2008 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 104130)
one other thing you should look into if the drive/your pc will support profile 2.0 for blueray.

Also since it looks like you will need software and a new videocard you might want to consider picking up a PS3 as they are relatively cheap, support profile 2 and can output with HDMI. Plus it's a ps3 so you can game in HD glory :)

That is exacly what I was thinking, just keep saving my pennies and get a ps3.
Alot less hastle.

Tazer-[X] October 24, 2008 03:13 AM

But, dont Ps3 games suxORS compared to a PC game?

lcdguy October 24, 2008 05:04 AM

well you tell me. How much money would you have to spend to get your games to run at full 1080p resolution flawlessly ?

norfolk October 25, 2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 104218)
well you tell me. How much money would you have to spend to get your games to run at full 1080p resolution flawlessly ?

That"s what I was thinking aswell!

norfolk October 25, 2008 06:44 AM

I"ll have to snap some photo"s of this system and put it in the Buy and Sell forum.Thx guy"s.

hybrid2d4x4 November 18, 2008 11:20 AM

It depends on what kind of games you want to run. A budget gaming rig for ~$500 I built this past spring with a 780g mobo, X2 5000+BE (stock speeds), 2GB ram, and 9600gt ran Bioshock at 1080P with all settings maxxed out and rarely dropped off from the 60fps cap. GRID and Crysis needed to turn some eye candy down to run well at 1080P, but a $500 system (including cheap case and PSU) today should be able to handle those same games without issue.. well, ok, maybe not Crysis, but it's a horribly coded game.