Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Sry abut the HDMI thing, I have a sapphire passive card, I should have mentioned this.

SAPPHIRE HD 3450 512MB DDR2 PCI-E

Actually, most times my cards are Sapphire.
that's ok i have some adapters from another HD3000 series card from diamond so i should be ok. and worst comes to worst there is a hdmi port on the motherboard as well :)

Old October 21, 2008, 12:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
well alot of that depends on the case. But yes i have a spare antec neo he kicking around which should be fine.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
I am on the fence on the case though as the one i have a mother of a case is way to big. But i am haering mixed reviews about the fusion. I am considering the nsk2400 series though. But i don't really need the PSU.
You know they're basically the same case right? Fusion came after the NSK24x0 and has the LCD/IR receiver. But the guts are the same afaik

Old October 21, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
Good to hear.

You know they're basically the same case right? Fusion came after the NSK24x0 and has the LCD/IR receiver. But the guts are the same afaik
i did not. ugh. it's so freaking hard to find a desktop/htpc case that i like. Maybe i should just fabricate one :)

Old October 21, 2008, 08:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just a word of caution, I don't know if this apples to the cases you mention but my friend had an older Antec HTPC case (not sure of the name), It had a special form factor power supply which died on him about 2 years after he got it, he had a hard time finding one, and when he did the cost was as much as a new case, so he ended up getting the Sonata 3.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Just a word of caution, I don't know if this apples to the cases you mention but my friend had an older Antec HTPC case (not sure of the name), It had a special form factor power supply which died on him about 2 years after he got it, he had a hard time finding one, and when he did the cost was as much as a new case, so he ended up getting the Sonata 3.
I didn't know they made anything other then the NSK24x0 and the Fusions, can you see about the model? I know the more recent stuff all uses a normal power supply.

Old October 22, 2008, 11:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think it's the Overture.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here's a link. AnandTech: HTPC 4-Way Roundup
Old October 23, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

anyway since my HDMI cable reached i was able to use an abosultely over kill case for it.

I ended up using the Temjin TJ05 Case and works like a realy charm. Pics of the build below.

Parts Goodness

Mmmm ATSC/NTSC Tuner, drools :)

Awesome Mobo, I Think

I don't care that it's only pc-6400 it's anodized red aluminum how could i resist

best bang for your buck Can't beat 2.7Ghz for under $80 :)

Passively Cooled 3450, Silence is Golden

An Oldie but a Goodie

Can anyone say, overkill :)

OMG Naked Mobo

Yaay, AMD

Anyway that's all the pics i took or the build would have taken me hours stopping to take pictures every 4 minutes. Besides i didn't want to risk my SLR getting knocked off the table.

Anyway here are some issues i ran into.

Firstly MS are really stupid. I installed vista for the media centre as i have used in the past and had great experince with it. but what's this MS doesn't support OTA HD tv in canada only the US. Figures. Let's try media portal, nope no support here either. Stupid Gits. Ok let's try Sage TV, well wouldn't you know it. It works.

So Sage TV for the Win.

As far as quality goes this tuner is really well suited works well if the pittance of stations i can get in ottawa. It also helps that i have a 1080p projector.

Some other caveats.

1. Diamond HD3450 card does NOT come with a DVI->HDMI convertor.
2. Audio is only 2 channel unless it has a digitally encoded ac3 or dts bit-stream
3. Not all remote buttons on the ATI remote work in Sage TV

While the audio thing isn't a big deal as i am just using it to play OTA TV and record said TV. However i now need a HDMI switch box as i have to many HDMI devices and not enough HDMI ports on my reciever :(.

Now you say what about those 5.1 mkv files. While it's true for some bizzare reason with teh htpc it only outputs 2.1 audio i don't use my HTPC for this i use something much better suited for this.

It's called a Popcorn Hour. And if you don't have one you need to buy one right away. The new versions are out and support SATA drives :). Not to mention they play just about every container under the sun except for maybe OGM/OGG. And yes does a straight pass through of the bit stream.

go to: Welcome To Popcorn Hour and being drooling :)

If you like i can post pics of it in action (the HTPC i mean)

Old November 17, 2008, 12:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am using a 780G Asus MB + 5200 + an ATI 3470 as well. It's a good combo. I am not using HDMI yet since our actuel big screen dates back a few years and does not sport HDMI. I'll be using a DVI to HDMI adpater that was supplied with the GPU. This setup works well for now.

That tuner works great I am using the same. I went for the 3470 over the 3450 mainly because of the faster DDR-3 memory instead of the DDR-2.

Last edited by Wurmer; November 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 10:42 AM
Rookie

I built a system for my brother using the 1st revision of this board which has a slightly smaller northbridge cooler and used the DTS interactive feature to encode a DTS 1.5Mbit bitstream on the fly. If i'm not mistaken, the later revision had Dolby Digital Live! instead, but should do the same 2ch -> 5.1 upmixing and regular DD + DTS passthrough. It should also handle other 6 channel streams that aren't necessarily AC3 or DTS, like in most games or your .mkvs, and output it in all its multichannel glory (albeit slightly compressed DTS or DD) over the digital out. Realistically, unless you have a 7.1 setup, this will be good enough. Check your realtek sound settings- mine had the DTS settings/buttons at the bottom of the window.

Last edited by hybrid2d4x4; November 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM.