Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2008, 09:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Really 40W, hmm maybe I should buy one of those and put that in my second rig.
Old September 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I will see what happens by switching to an ATI card though. I have a few HD4850s hanging around. They consume about as much power as a 8800 GTS 512MB while producing FAR less heat. I think that is my best bet right about now since I want to keep folding.

And on a side note, folding-wise the HD4670 should compete with the 9600GT which could make it the new price / performance / power consumption / heat leader i nthe folding arena...once drivers support it. And once they do, you will DEFINATELY see two or four of them folding from me. I mean 40W MAX per card is amazing.
There goes the NDA...
Old September 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

NDA was up today. Our review will be MIA until tonight.
Old September 10, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah some decent power consumption would be nice. Cards just keep getting bigger and bigger, gets hard on the power bill with energy prices these days.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Y'all don't even want to know what my power bill was last month. Considering my Folding rig with 3800+ and 8800GTS draws 352W from the wall when folding....it is time to look at something else since that will just add to the bill. Underclocked E8400 + 2X HD4670 + Gigabyte EPU board sounds promising.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:16 AM

Cant be more than mine... cops probably think I have a grow op.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

consider this though guys, the bang for you watt buck is aloooot bigger than when we couldnt use a GPU, so if you consider (as long as your not folding just for points) that you can run just a single card and do more for the cause by many times over what you were doing before. So power being an issue, we surely dont need to be flat out all the time to still be much much more effective than we've been in the past, so dont feel bad about skimpin out a bit on the folding.

Just trying to think of a power conscious strategy here, but (for users of multiple GPUs) would underclocking multiple cores cause much of a power savings while still maintaining more ppd than keeping fewer cards running overclocked? obviously theres more eating the watts while we're overclocking than when we're not, fans suck up quite a bit of juice. With these new WUs apperantly causing nv cards to run a few degrees hotter, slowing down the cards to the point where keeping the fans around average speeds, while keeping the ppd to watt ratio a little more easier to swallow, especially if we downclock the core and the memory, the shaders in my experience havnt really caused as big of a heat issue as the other two. (i could be wrong in the instance of folding, im not home to test this out.)

SKY, how are you testing how much your power consumption is? perhaps when i get home i can try testing out this theory, i've got 4 GPUs in one PC, so i should be able come confirm or deny my speculation, and hopefully come up with a method that will allow us all to keep folding without breaking the bank on power bills while still getting enough points to maintain our upward trend in the ranks ;)

on the upside, during winter we could allways crank these babys up, put a heating duct on the back side of our computers then turn the furnace off to offset the power bill ;D

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 10, 2008, 01:30 PM

I just read that the new WUs have been removed for further research as they shouldnt be generating that much extra heat.
Old September 10, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep , that's why I'm going to just keep my SMP client going , my 8800GTX has shitty stock cooling so heat increase=bad.I do intend to work it over sooner or later tho.

-------

As far as the whole power consumption thing :

For me , I want my computers to be 'instant on' , therfore they are all on , 24/7 .....The only time my network is down is when I move it for lans , or go out of town.
That being said , I might as well have the damn thing do something , even if it is more power than idle.

I'd rather make sure the unused lights are off and run my machines....My house has 3Kw of lighting in it.The room I'm in right now is running 600W of halogen lighting.I'd tell you all about LED lighting , but thats a future worklog.

Trust me , you can find the power.

Old September 10, 2008, 03:12 PM

Whats with all the lights? You live in a greenhouse? lol :D