Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   A Not So Small Issue With GPU2 Client (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/9889-not-so-small-issue-gpu2-client.html)

SKYMTL September 6, 2008 08:56 AM

A Not So Small Issue With GPU2 Client

I will try to describe this problem with the GPU2 client I have been having without going into unnecessary territory (ie: breaking NDA).

Basically, I have a pre-released GPU which has a unified shader architecture that I am trying to get folding for a benchmark in the review.

Here is the problem:

Whenever I boot the GPU2 client, it tells me a serious error has occured and the application mush terminate. This isn't a Fatal Error from Windows but rather a message from the Client itself.

Here are some basic system specs:

Q9300 @ Stock
ASUS P5E Deluxe
4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000
NDA GPU
Vista Ultimate x64

The log file shows the following:

Quote:

[14:30:52] - Ask before connecting: No
[14:30:52] - User name: SKYMTL (Team 54196)
[14:30:52] - User ID: 160B35ED41EE921B
[14:30:52] - Machine ID: 2
[14:30:52]
[14:30:52] Loaded queue successfully.
[14:30:52] Initialization complete
[14:30:52]
[14:30:52] + Processing work unit
[14:30:52] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
[14:30:52] Core found.
[14:30:52] Working on queue slot 01 [September 6 14:30:52 UTC]
[14:30:52] + Working ...
[14:30:57] CoreStatus = FFFFFFF6 (-10)
[14:30:57] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0xfffffff6
[14:30:57] This is a sign of more serious problems, shutting down.
Personally I think this is happening because the GPU2 client does not support a GPU which has not been released to the general public yet or the beta drivers I am using for the GPU don't play nice with F@H.

However, I am not a "pro" per se at this Folding thing so maybe some of you guys may have some insight.

Is my assumption correct in that the client needs to have support for exact card IDs in order to run, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

sswilson September 6, 2008 09:54 AM

I think that's a very safe bet SKYMTL. When the GPU client was first released there was some work involved getting it to work with anything other than the one set of drivers.

Shadowed September 6, 2008 10:05 AM

Hey SKY,

With the 9800gx2, I had to run the gpu clients with a shortcut. In the shortcut properties under 'Target' I had to add a space after the .exe then this flag
-forcegpu nvidia_g80

I am not exactly sure what it does, but I was getting an error until I used this.

I am not sure if you want to try this on a nda card or if it is even the right brand.

[RUMOR] Hey!, is that the new intel gpu your testing ??????[/RUMOR]

SKYMTL September 6, 2008 10:42 AM

Actually, the Client opens fine as you see but then encounters an error when it goes to communicate with the core. So I don't think it is a problem with the .exe extension.

And no, it is NOT an Intel GPU.

Shadowed September 6, 2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 86868)
And no, it is NOT an Intel GPU.

Sorry, was just kidding.

Boldeagle September 6, 2008 10:50 AM

Your logic seems flawless. I assume you have the latest client:

Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

May be uninstall it (use RegCleaner after), download a fresh file and install that. New mystery GPU......tell me more....tell me more.

Supergrover September 6, 2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

CoreStatus = FFFFFFFF (-1) Client-core communications error: ERROR 0xffffffff Deleting current work unit & continuing...Possibly a variation of errors 0 and 1. This error has also been common from the Windows SMP beta client when the MPICH service becomes unregistered (for unknown reason). Running the install.bat file again usually resolves the problem.
This error has also been seen with the ATI GPU2 client, when running OEM based drivers. Download and install the latest driver from ATI.
This error has also been seen with the NV GPU2 client, in the middle of a work unit. Apparently if the card crashes in the middle of a work unit, the same error will appear as if using the wrong driver.
Its a Driver issue SKY.

tzetsin September 6, 2008 10:56 AM

sky, also with my gx2 the ONLY icon that would work was the icon in the start/programs/fah folder. Any other icon would cause the client to fail right after downloading the core.

SKYMTL September 6, 2008 11:00 AM

So, basically that is telling me to uninstall and reinstall. But I guess this makes sense sine these are not WHQL drivers. I will install another card and see if it works.

3.0charlie September 6, 2008 12:47 PM

Could be MPICH - it has happened to me once in the past year... but I would bet on a unsupported driver. Unless you can use the latest released ones, there isn't much you can do.

Also if you wish to "benchmark" the card using FAH, you'll have to fold for at least 24 hours, in order to have a realistic average.